Contents / PnP Stuff / Logs /

[Wed Nov 16 19:49:45 2016] : DM: GAME START
[Wed Nov 16 19:50:27 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc ê Try AltGr + @, e if you have a composing keyboard layout enabled.
[Wed Nov 16 19:50:34 2016] : DM: You had explored more of the forest, meeting an old hunter and a grouchy boggard (and deciding not to go hunting a notoriously dangerous boar).
[Wed Nov 16 19:51:03 2016] : Guthmund: ooc that worked
[Wed Nov 16 19:51:08 2016] : DM: You returned to Oleg's to find Svetlana in a panic. The bandits came back the previous night, and kidnapped Oleg.
[Wed Nov 16 19:51:12 2016] : Guthmund: ooc prêt
[Wed Nov 16 19:51:22 2016] : Svetlana: "They've taken him! They've taken Oleg!"
[Wed Nov 16 19:51:51 2016] : Eadfrid: "How many, how long ago and which direction?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:52:37 2016] : Svetlana: "There was five of them, and they came from the South. They all do."
[Wed Nov 16 19:53:13 2016] : Svetlana: "They rode away, heading near the road - not back the way they came at all."
[Wed Nov 16 19:53:33 2016] : Adwulf: "Can you tell us anything else about them?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:54:00 2016] : Guthmund: "Hwich direction on the road?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:54:20 2016] : Guthmund: "North or East?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:54:21 2016] : Svetlana: "It wasn't the same ones who used to come, but the leader had one of the amulets - the silver ones."
[Wed Nov 16 19:54:44 2016] : Svetlana: ooc Svetlana pointed East - you lot are just typing fast tonight :)
[Wed Nov 16 19:55:05 2016] : Eadfrid: "Not that stag head?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:55:26 2016] : Svetlana: "Yes, the silver stag's head."
[Wed Nov 16 19:55:42 2016] : Guthmund: ooc how tired are we?
[Wed Nov 16 19:55:48 2016] : Svetlana: "He said 'You've crossed the Stag Lord for the last time'."
[Wed Nov 16 19:56:03 2016] : Svetlana: ooc it's late evening; you'd been out exploring and have just ridden back.
[Wed Nov 16 19:56:38 2016] : Guthmund: "How long ago was this?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:58:03 2016] : Svetlana: "Just yesterday. Kesten and his men were injured; I've been keeping them alive."
[Wed Nov 16 19:58:22 2016] : Guthmund: "OK, let's take a look at your men first"
[Wed Nov 16 19:58:26 2016] : Adwulf: "Aye"
[Wed Nov 16 19:58:29 2016] : Jhod: "I will tend to the wounded." Jhod asks Svetlana for directions, then vanishes into the building.
[Wed Nov 16 19:58:46 2016] : Svetlana: ooc You have a tame NPC cleric - you could let him do it if you want to ;-)
[Wed Nov 16 19:58:46 2016] : Guthmund: "Then, we may need to rest. We can't look in the dark, and we are already tired"
[Wed Nov 16 19:59:03 2016] : Svetlana: Svetlana looks broken-hearted
[Wed Nov 16 19:59:12 2016] : Svetlana: "But what if they've already... hurt him?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:59:47 2016] : Adwulf: "Have you any idea where they might be headed?"
[Wed Nov 16 19:59:49 2016] : Guthmund: "Well, I'm not sure what we can do about that"
[Wed Nov 16 20:00:14 2016] : Guthmund: "Other than look for tracks when we can see and follow them to the best of our abilities2
[Wed Nov 16 20:00:19 2016] : Adwulf: "I'd be wary of chasing after them in the dark. We could easily miss them turning off the road "
[Wed Nov 16 20:00:58 2016] : Eadfrid: "More likely to stumble into the inevitable trap as well if we hurry"
[Wed Nov 16 20:01:01 2016] : Svetlana: "Will you go in the morning then? Early?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:01:33 2016] : Eadfrid: "Yes."
[Wed Nov 16 20:02:00 2016] : Guthmund: "We can rise early and leave at first light"
[Wed Nov 16 20:02:03 2016] : Adwulf: "At first light"!
[Wed Nov 16 20:03:09 2016] : DM: The night passes peacefully, though you can hear Svetlana pacing, unable to sleep.
[Wed Nov 16 20:03:37 2016] : DM: In the morning, Kesten and his men are back on guard, a bit shaken by their experience; Jhod joins them as an extra lookout.
[Wed Nov 16 20:04:10 2016] : DM: The bandits' tracks are broad and clear, following alongside the road in the soft ground.
[Wed Nov 16 20:05:41 2016] : DM: Survival checks to follow the tracks, please.
[Wed Nov 16 20:05:43 2016] : Adwulf: Survival: [1d20(7) + 0] = 7
[Wed Nov 16 20:05:52 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund breakfasts before dawn, then mounts up and follows the tracks, looking for anything out of the ordinary
[Wed Nov 16 20:05:55 2016] : Eadfrid: Following the trail, keeping alert for any potential ambush.
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:01 2016] : Guthmund: Track: [1d20(1) + 5] = 6
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:08 2016] : Eadfrid: Survival: [1d20(15) + -1] = 14
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:09 2016] : Eadfrid: Perception: [1d20(15) + 7] = 22
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:12 2016] : DM: ooc Guthmund goes round in circles
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:33 2016] : Guthmund: Perception: [1d20(1) + 5] = 6
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:36 2016] : DM: Eadfrid manages to keep the others on the trail, and not following a single horse whose tracks had crossed the others.
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:43 2016] : DM: ooc using up the 1s, Craig/
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:49 2016] : DM: [1d100(32)] = 32
[Wed Nov 16 20:06:51 2016] : Guthmund: ooc :-)
[Wed Nov 16 20:07:22 2016] : DM: ooc can I have one more Survival check each, please?
[Wed Nov 16 20:07:31 2016] : Eadfrid: Survival: [1d20(2) + -1] = 1
[Wed Nov 16 20:07:51 2016] : DM: ooc officially you have to make 1 check per mile but that's just boring
[Wed Nov 16 20:08:25 2016] : Adwulf: Survival: [1d20(1) + 0] = 1
[Wed Nov 16 20:08:30 2016] : Adwulf: oco ffs
[Wed Nov 16 20:09:04 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc oh dear
[Wed Nov 16 20:09:14 2016] : DM: ooc I recommend Guthmund rolls a bit better ;-)
[Wed Nov 16 20:09:27 2016] : Guthmund: Survival: [1d20(11) + 5] = 16
[Wed Nov 16 20:10:06 2016] : DM: Guthmund takes his turn to rescue the others, who had been distracted and were about to start following their own tracks in a circle. It is a mystery how they even found their own tracks to follow, but we shall gloss over that.
[Wed Nov 16 20:10:34 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc lol
[Wed Nov 16 20:11:11 2016] : DM: After six hours of riding, the tracks still visible but now heading south, away from the road, you see an isolated hut in the distance. Five horses are tethered to a tree nearby.
[Wed Nov 16 20:11:15 2016] : Adwulf: ooc just need one of those big comedy magnifying glasses
[Wed Nov 16 20:11:26 2016] : Adwulf: "That looks likely"
[Wed Nov 16 20:11:55 2016] : Guthmund: "Well, is there anywhere we can hide the horses and sneak up on the place?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:12:00 2016] : Guthmund: Survival: [1d20(20) + 5] = 25
[Wed Nov 16 20:12:46 2016] : DM: Guthmund manages to spot a hollow in the ground, where there is very limited line of sight from the hut. The area is flat enough that it's difficult, and there's still a slim chance the horses will be seen, but it's a lot better than you would expect.
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:06 2016] : DM: You can sneak up on the place; it'll need some Stealth checks.
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:13 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund hobbles the horses in the dell
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:21 2016] : Adwulf: "I'll try to creep closer"
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:30 2016] : Guthmund: "OK, let's try to get closer undetected"
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:34 2016] : Guthmund: Stealth: [1d20(6) + 2] = 8
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:39 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf drops to the ground and crawls forwards
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:42 2016] : Adwulf: Stealth: [1d20(20) + 9] = 29
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:45 2016] : Adwulf: Stealth: [1d20(1) + 9] = 10
[Wed Nov 16 20:14:50 2016] : Adwulf: Stealth: [1d20(8) + 9] = 17
[Wed Nov 16 20:15:01 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid hangs back, not being very stealthy
[Wed Nov 16 20:15:04 2016] : Eadfrid: Stealth: [1d20(10) + -3] = 7
[Wed Nov 16 20:15:12 2016] : DM: As you approach, you hear a shout.
[Wed Nov 16 20:15:28 2016] : DM: "We know you're coming; you can save yourselves the trouble and stand up."
[Wed Nov 16 20:15:29 2016] : Guthmund: "Stay down Adwulf"
[Wed Nov 16 20:16:01 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund stands
[Wed Nov 16 20:16:06 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid stands up
[Wed Nov 16 20:16:09 2016] : DM: There's a face visible in the open door of the hut.
[Wed Nov 16 20:17:04 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf stays as still as a mouse
[Wed Nov 16 20:17:05 2016] : DM: "Well, are you coming in or not? We've been waiting for you!"
[Wed Nov 16 20:17:22 2016] : DM: Perception: [1d20(18) + -1 + 6] = 23
[Wed Nov 16 20:17:43 2016] : DM: ooc I remember the distance modifiers, so Adwulf is still hidden
[Wed Nov 16 20:18:27 2016] : Eadfrid: Walking caustiously forwards, weapon at the ready.
[Wed Nov 16 20:19:01 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund walks up with Eadfrid
[Wed Nov 16 20:19:15 2016] : DM: "If you don't drop your sword, Oleg dies."
[Wed Nov 16 20:19:38 2016] : DM: The voice isn't coming from the visible bandit, but from somewhere deeper in the hut.
[Wed Nov 16 20:20:31 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid sheaths his weapon. "Good enough for you?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:21:13 2016] : DM: "It'll do for now."
[Wed Nov 16 20:21:21 2016] : Guthmund: ooc Guthmund didn't have his sword out
[Wed Nov 16 20:21:25 2016] : DM: "So, come to the door, and let us see you well."
[Wed Nov 16 20:21:51 2016] : Eadfrid: Eafrid moves to the door but doesn't step through.
[Wed Nov 16 20:22:09 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund stands 10 ft away from Eadfrid and keeps approaching
[Wed Nov 16 20:22:24 2016] : Adwulf: ooc how far away am I?
[Wed Nov 16 20:22:31 2016] : DM: ooc Craig - are you following Eadfrid or ahead, or to the side?
[Wed Nov 16 20:22:54 2016] : DM: ooc Adwulf is about 120' away - close enough to sprint in two rounds
[Wed Nov 16 20:23:00 2016] : Guthmund: ooc side
[Wed Nov 16 20:23:45 2016] : Guthmund: ooc or diagonally back if he's at the doorway now
[Wed Nov 16 20:23:53 2016] : DM: The hut is dark and gloomy inside. As your eyes adjust, you see Oleg sitting on a simple stool, his legs tied together.
[Wed Nov 16 20:24:04 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund tries to peer into the hut
[Wed Nov 16 20:24:10 2016] : Guthmund: Perception: [1d20(19) + 5] = 24
[Wed Nov 16 20:24:18 2016] : DM: To each side of him, bandits stand with their swords drawn, and the tips pressed to Oleg's sides.
[Wed Nov 16 20:24:50 2016] : DM: Behind Oleg is a dark-haired bandit with a pale face. He smiles at you.
[Wed Nov 16 20:25:32 2016] : DM: "I am glad you came. Oleg here tells me you have two friends: why are they not with you?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:27:02 2016] : Eadfrid: "They're scouting in a different direction."
[Wed Nov 16 20:27:08 2016] : Eadfrid: Bluff: [1d20(11) + 1] = 12
[Wed Nov 16 20:28:08 2016] : DM: Wisdom: [1d20(14) + -1] = 13
[Wed Nov 16 20:28:14 2016] : Guthmund: ooc sorry, child issues - back now
[Wed Nov 16 20:28:17 2016] : DM: "You're not a very good liar, are you?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:28:52 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid shrugs
[Wed Nov 16 20:29:32 2016] : DM: "So why don't you call them to come out. We left a nice easy trail for you, and Oleg's going to need all four of you to save him."
[Wed Nov 16 20:30:12 2016] : DM: The bandit leader smiles again, or at least he shows his teeth
[Wed Nov 16 20:31:59 2016] : DM: He raises his voice
[Wed Nov 16 20:32:01 2016] : Eadfrid: "Some interesting game planned I suppose?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:32:10 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf is trying to avoid getting cramp
[Wed Nov 16 20:32:11 2016] : DM: "Adwulf, Alhandra, you can come out now."
[Wed Nov 16 20:33:16 2016] : Guthmund: Sensing that this is not going to change, Guthmund signs for Adwulf to rise
[Wed Nov 16 20:33:17 2016] : DM: "I would not call it a game. More of a bargain. You deliver what I want, and I give you Oleg."
[Wed Nov 16 20:33:41 2016] : Eadfrid: "Very well. Let's here it."
[Wed Nov 16 20:33:43 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf joins the party
[Wed Nov 16 20:34:19 2016] : DM: "Let's keep this simple. There is a man called Akiros Ismort. He works for the Stag Lord. I want him dead."
[Wed Nov 16 20:34:53 2016] : DM: "I will wait here for ten days: that gives you three days each way to the fort, and four days to make your kill. I'm sure you can find a way."
[Wed Nov 16 20:35:09 2016] : DM: "After ten days, I start returning Oleg to you. Piece by piece."
[Wed Nov 16 20:35:20 2016] : Adwulf: "{sigh} So, tell us about the fort"
[Wed Nov 16 20:35:21 2016] : DM: This time, the smile is genuine.
[Wed Nov 16 20:35:49 2016] : Guthmund: "I'm assuming that the Stag Lord wants him to remain alive?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:37:34 2016] : DM: "The Stag Lord trusts him, as much as he trusts anyone, and views him as his second. That is my place."
[Wed Nov 16 20:37:55 2016] : Adwulf: brb
[Wed Nov 16 20:39:42 2016] : Guthmund: "I see. And we'll just be able to walk up to the fort and get access to this Akiros?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:40:38 2016] : Adwulf: "Sounds unlikely"
[Wed Nov 16 20:40:46 2016] : DM: "You could try giving the password."
[Wed Nov 16 20:40:56 2016] : Adwulf: "which would be...?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:42:16 2016] : DM: "When they ask you who's there, you say "By the bloody bones of St Gilmorg, who wants to know?""
[Wed Nov 16 20:42:38 2016] : DM: "And I don't know who this damned saint is. It's one of Akiros' picks. Damn fool."
[Wed Nov 16 20:42:42 2016] : Guthmund: ooc sherbet lemons?
[Wed Nov 16 20:43:39 2016] : DM: ooc lol
[Wed Nov 16 20:43:44 2016] : Adwulf: "Won' they be suspicious that a group that no one there knows has the password?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:44:20 2016] : DM: "No. Too many of us to know everyone, and there's the outside camps as well. You could deliver some loot. That will give you a reason to be there."
[Wed Nov 16 20:44:39 2016] : Eadfrid: "So why haven't you killed this Akiros then?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:44:42 2016] : DM: "Take strong drink as well. The boss is a drunk, and he'll be distracted."
[Wed Nov 16 20:44:59 2016] : DM: "Too bloody obvious if I do it, isn't it? And it's more fun this way."
[Wed Nov 16 20:45:16 2016] : DM: ooc Sense Motive checks if you like.
[Wed Nov 16 20:45:22 2016] : Guthmund: Sense Motive: [1d20(12) + 1] = 13
[Wed Nov 16 20:45:51 2016] : Eadfrid: Sense Motive: [1d20(10) + -1] = 9
[Wed Nov 16 20:46:17 2016] : Adwulf: Sense Motive: [1d20(12) + 6] = 18
[Wed Nov 16 20:46:37 2016] : DM: You don't think there's anything he's lying about or leaving out.
[Wed Nov 16 20:47:54 2016] : Adwulf: "I suppose we dont really have any other option"
[Wed Nov 16 20:48:29 2016] : Guthmund: "I like Oleg"
[Wed Nov 16 20:48:40 2016] : DM: "Oh, you could try knocking on the doors and calling him out for a duel, but that would be a dangerous idea."
[Wed Nov 16 20:49:03 2016] : DM: "I'm glad you like Oleg. So do I. He's very useful, and entertaining."
[Wed Nov 16 20:50:28 2016] : DM: "So, will you do it? It will be... interesting to see how you fare."
[Wed Nov 16 20:50:42 2016] : Adwulf: "Ok then, I suppose we have a deal...."
[Wed Nov 16 20:51:01 2016] : Guthmund: "As I say, I like Oleg, and it seems if we don't, you'll kill him"
[Wed Nov 16 20:51:20 2016] : Adwulf: ""I dont recall hearing your name"
[Wed Nov 16 20:51:37 2016] : Guthmund: "So I will attempt it"
[Wed Nov 16 20:51:46 2016] : Eadfrid: "Very well>"
[Wed Nov 16 20:51:53 2016] : DM: "Oh, you can tell him Dovan sent you. That will make him smile as he dies."
[Wed Nov 16 20:52:02 2016] : DM: ooc brb
[Wed Nov 16 20:53:04 2016] : DM: ooc back
[Wed Nov 16 20:53:42 2016] : DM: ooc ready to set off?
[Wed Nov 16 20:53:43 2016] : Guthmund: "Which way to the fort?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:53:44 2016] : Eadfrid: "Do you have a plan of the fort?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:54:05 2016] : DM: "You think I'm a mason, do you?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:54:16 2016] : Eadfrid: "Intelligence on numbers, armaments, patrol routes, watch schedules?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:54:40 2016] : Dovan: "No, I have no plan of it. There'll be anywhere up to thirty men there: not many women since Kressle vanished."
[Wed Nov 16 20:54:57 2016] : Dovan: "But I'm guessing you know about her already."
[Wed Nov 16 20:55:49 2016] : Adwulf: "Perhaps"
[Wed Nov 16 20:56:09 2016] : Dovan: "Head west from here to the river, cross it at the bridge, and follow the other bank down. Keep going. The fort's on the shores of the lake."
[Wed Nov 16 20:56:30 2016] : Dovan: "Oh, and no-one keeps much of a watch. Not much to challenge us out here, is there?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:56:38 2016] : Dovan: Dovan grins maliciously
[Wed Nov 16 20:56:54 2016] : Guthmund: "By down, do you mean South?"
[Wed Nov 16 20:57:15 2016] : Guthmund: ooc is South downhill? I can't remember
[Wed Nov 16 20:58:14 2016] : Dovan: ooc there's half a compass rose next to where you are.
[Wed Nov 16 20:58:20 2016] : Adwulf: ooc it usually is on a map
[Wed Nov 16 20:58:32 2016] : Dovan: ooc south is downhill, yes.
[Wed Nov 16 20:58:54 2016] : Dovan: "Down, as in downriver."
[Wed Nov 16 20:59:23 2016] : Dovan: "Not many swim in that river. Too fast, too rough."
[Wed Nov 16 20:59:36 2016] : Guthmund: ooc I meant topographically, not in an abstract North is up type way
[Wed Nov 16 20:59:40 2016] : Adwulf: "The river or the people?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:00:52 2016] : Dovan: "The river. Now go, you are boring me."
[Wed Nov 16 21:01:01 2016] : Adwulf: "Anyway, lets be on our way. Times ticking"
[Wed Nov 16 21:01:10 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid leaves
[Wed Nov 16 21:02:08 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf waves to Oleg, and starts walking back to the horses
[Wed Nov 16 21:02:27 2016] : Eadfrid: When everyone is some distance away.
[Wed Nov 16 21:02:29 2016] : DM: it's now slightly after noon; the sun is to the south, but it's not high at this time of year. The breeze is cold, but not bitterly so; it feels like spring is on the way.
[Wed Nov 16 21:02:43 2016] : Eadfrid: "I think I prefer the odds against these few rather than the 30 at the fort."
[Wed Nov 16 21:03:25 2016] : Guthmund: "The problem is that Oleg dies as soon as we do anything"
[Wed Nov 16 21:03:46 2016] : Guthmund: "Unless we can disable everyone without getting noticed"
[Wed Nov 16 21:04:08 2016] : Eadfrid: "Perhaps while we ride we can think of a plan."
[Wed Nov 16 21:04:40 2016] : Adwulf: "This 'Dovan' seems too smart to fall for that"
[Wed Nov 16 21:05:42 2016] : Guthmund: "I agree"
[Wed Nov 16 21:05:55 2016] : Adwulf: "With what we've seen so far I think we can assume he has thought of that"
[Wed Nov 16 21:06:09 2016] : Guthmund: "Unless we can come back with overwhelming power, Oleg dies"
[Wed Nov 16 21:06:35 2016] : Eadfrid: "At the very least, when Oleg is safe we should kill this Dovan as well. I do not like him."
[Wed Nov 16 21:06:48 2016] : DM: ooc are you heading directly to the fort, or back to Oleg's first for any reason?
[Wed Nov 16 21:06:54 2016] : Adwulf: "Agreed on that point, Eadfrid"
[Wed Nov 16 21:07:05 2016] : Guthmund: "Oh, I thought he was intriguing, but I do not like being toyed with"
[Wed Nov 16 21:07:51 2016] : Adwulf: "A clever bandit is still a bandit"
[Wed Nov 16 21:08:13 2016] : Eadfrid: "Perhaps we should pass by the trading post, reassure Svetlana that we're working on Oleg's freedom."
[Wed Nov 16 21:09:05 2016] : Adwulf: "I know its not a huge detour, but dare we risk the time?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:09:22 2016] : Guthmund: "It's a little out of the way, but worth doing"
[Wed Nov 16 21:09:39 2016] : Adwulf: "ok then"
[Wed Nov 16 21:09:49 2016] : DM: ooc there are also the plot-related bottles of green herbal liquor that you could take to bluff your way into the fort.
[Wed Nov 16 21:09:57 2016] : DM: http://wiki.davidvrabel.org.uk/wiki/Stolen_Land/Party_Loot
[Wed Nov 16 21:10:11 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc thanks for the reminder
[Wed Nov 16 21:11:08 2016] : DM: ooc I'm assuming your characters didn't all roll 1s on their intelligence checks here :)
[Wed Nov 16 21:11:32 2016] : Adwulf: ooc its only a few days for them
[Wed Nov 16 21:11:40 2016] : DM: ooc exactly.
[Wed Nov 16 21:11:43 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc it wouldn't be unheard of...
[Wed Nov 16 21:11:54 2016] : Guthmund: ooc so a brief stop and straight on
[Wed Nov 16 21:12:22 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc yes
[Wed Nov 16 21:12:23 2016] : DM: You make it back to the trading post just as the sun is setting. Svetlana is waiting, desperate for news.
[Wed Nov 16 21:12:57 2016] : Adwulf: "Svetlana, theres good news and bad news"
[Wed Nov 16 21:13:21 2016] : Svetlana: "Tell me! Where is he? Is he safe?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:13:54 2016] : Adwulf: "As far as we can tell he's safe, for now"
[Wed Nov 16 21:14:12 2016] : Guthmund: "Alive and seemingly unharmed at least"
[Wed Nov 16 21:14:18 2016] : Adwulf: "We have been asked to do... something, in return for his life"
[Wed Nov 16 21:14:34 2016] : Adwulf: "We are on our way to do that something now"
[Wed Nov 16 21:14:49 2016] : Svetlana: "How long? When will he be safe?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:15:05 2016] : Svetlana: Svetlana ignores the implications of Adwulf's pause
[Wed Nov 16 21:15:23 2016] : Adwulf: "It will be done as quickly as we are able"
[Wed Nov 16 21:15:49 2016] : Eadfrid: "I'm afraid it well be a few more days."
[Wed Nov 16 21:16:05 2016] : Svetlana: "Then go, and good luck to you all!"
[Wed Nov 16 21:16:09 2016] : Adwulf: "Our destination is some days travel away"
[Wed Nov 16 21:16:41 2016] : DM: Night is falling, and the temperature is dropping. Are you resting overnight?
[Wed Nov 16 21:17:25 2016] : Guthmund: ooc yes
[Wed Nov 16 21:17:31 2016] : Adwulf: "We should stay here overnight. We'll not get much further in the dark"
[Wed Nov 16 21:17:49 2016] : Guthmund: "We can plan out any extra supplies that we may need"
[Wed Nov 16 21:18:02 2016] : Eadfrid: "Agreed."
[Wed Nov 16 21:18:33 2016] : DM: Early in the morning, you set off again. You have full saddle-bags, rations for ten days - though the last bits of it are unappealing dried meat and hard biscuits.
[Wed Nov 16 21:19:07 2016] : Adwulf: ooc no lembas wafers?
[Wed Nov 16 21:19:15 2016] : DM: ooc no such luck :)
[Wed Nov 16 21:20:03 2016] : DM: you ride across the plains, skirting the forest for easier travel, and after a day's hard ride you have almost reached the riverbank. The land slopes down into the valley, and the river itself is already in shadow.
[Wed Nov 16 21:20:20 2016] : DM: ooc can I assume you're riding all day but not into the night?
[Wed Nov 16 21:20:50 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc yes, taking 1st watch
[Wed Nov 16 21:20:56 2016] : Adwulf: ooc in an unfamiliar forest?? With bandits around??
[Wed Nov 16 21:21:15 2016] : DM: ooc :)
[Wed Nov 16 21:21:30 2016] : DM: As you settle down for the night, you hear a sound in the distance...
[Wed Nov 16 21:21:34 2016] : Guthmund: ooc just looking for affordable items that may help us
[Wed Nov 16 21:21:36 2016] : DM: perception checks, please
[Wed Nov 16 21:22:02 2016] : Adwulf: Perception: [1d20(5) + 4] = 9
[Wed Nov 16 21:22:02 2016] : Eadfrid: Perception: [1d20(10) + 7] = 17
[Wed Nov 16 21:22:35 2016] : Guthmund: Perception: [1d20(1) + 5] = 6
[Wed Nov 16 21:22:54 2016] : DM: The sound is a long, drawn-out howl: to Eadfrid's ears, it's not quite the sound of a wolf, but something else instead.
[Wed Nov 16 21:23:07 2016] : DM: It only happens once, but it makes the night more tense.
[Wed Nov 16 21:23:26 2016] : Guthmund: "Sounds like a chicken"
[Wed Nov 16 21:23:57 2016] : Eadfrid: "A chicken? What sort of chickens do you have whereyou're from?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:24:07 2016] : DM: ooc the lesser furry murder-chicken.
[Wed Nov 16 21:24:16 2016] : Guthmund: ooc LOL
[Wed Nov 16 21:24:36 2016] : Guthmund: "I dunno, ones that sound like that?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:25:04 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf chuckles
[Wed Nov 16 21:26:31 2016] : DM: The next day, you ride down to the river. It's fast-flowing, and it's easy to see which way is downstream: but it runs at the bottom of a narrow canyon, around 10ft deep, and would not be easy to cross.
[Wed Nov 16 21:27:36 2016] : DM: As you head downstream, you see an old wooden bridge. It is intact, but looks suspiciously old and rickety.
[Wed Nov 16 21:28:04 2016] : Adwulf: "This can't be the bridge!"
[Wed Nov 16 21:28:10 2016] : Eadfrid: Knowledge: Engineering: [1d20(10) + 1] = 11 (untrained: 10)
[Wed Nov 16 21:28:22 2016] : Guthmund: "It clearly is"
[Wed Nov 16 21:28:36 2016] : DM: Eadfrid agrees with Guthmund, that this is definitely a bridge.
[Wed Nov 16 21:29:10 2016] : DM: He doesn't see a way to make it any sturdier, but he knows that pulling out supports will not be a good idea if you want to cross: and one of the supports is half-rotten already.
[Wed Nov 16 21:29:27 2016] : Adwulf: "I know its A bridge"
[Wed Nov 16 21:30:00 2016] : Adwulf: "Will it take our horses?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:30:55 2016] : Guthmund: "I'd suggest one person crosses with a rope, then we draw the horses across riderless"
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:06 2016] : Guthmund: "One at a time"
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:21 2016] : Eadfrid: "Sounds like a plan Guthmund."
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:21 2016] : Guthmund: "I'm happy to try the bridge"
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:36 2016] : DM: As Guthmund crosses the bridge, it creaks alarmingly...
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:37 2016] : Adwulf: "Ok, I think I'm the lightest so I'll go first"
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:45 2016] : DM: but he makes it to the other side safely.
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:49 2016] : Adwulf: ooc ok
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:51 2016] : DM: Adwulf follows, then Eadfrid.
[Wed Nov 16 21:31:58 2016] : Guthmund: "Probably best for the heaviest to cross"
[Wed Nov 16 21:32:15 2016] : DM: The horses do not look impressed by the idea, and do their best to refuse to cross.
[Wed Nov 16 21:32:28 2016] : DM: appropriate skill checks, please :-)
[Wed Nov 16 21:32:29 2016] : Guthmund: ooc I meant only one person
[Wed Nov 16 21:32:38 2016] : DM: ooc oh, I see
[Wed Nov 16 21:32:47 2016] : DM: ooc Adwulf and Eadfrid do not follow.
[Wed Nov 16 21:33:04 2016] : Guthmund: ooc The others can encourage a horse from behind
[Wed Nov 16 21:33:12 2016] : Adwulf: Handle Animal: [1d20(1) + 1] = 2
[Wed Nov 16 21:33:19 2016] : Guthmund: ooc avoiding the actual back end of course
[Wed Nov 16 21:33:20 2016] : Adwulf: ooc gah
[Wed Nov 16 21:33:49 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund pulls the rope gently
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:00 2016] : Guthmund: ooc how wide is the bridge?
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:00 2016] : Eadfrid: "I'd just spook the horse."
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:05 2016] : DM: Adwulf just avoids getting kicked.
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:14 2016] : Adwulf: ooc Adwulf smacks the horse on the arse apparently
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:21 2016] : Guthmund: ooc LOL
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:28 2016] : Guthmund: Handle Animal: [1d20(12) + 2] = 14
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:30 2016] : DM: ooc the bridge is 3' wide - it is wide enough for a horse, but not enough for two side-by-side.
[Wed Nov 16 21:34:42 2016] : DM: Guthmund persuades the horse onto the bridge.
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:03 2016] : DM: The wood creaks even worse, but the horse makes it across.
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:07 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund draws the horse across, slowly
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:12 2016] : Guthmund: "Next"
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:28 2016] : Guthmund: ooc is the gorge jumpable?
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:32 2016] : DM: Handle Animal check, please
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:32 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf guides his horse
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:43 2016] : Guthmund: ooc me?
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:43 2016] : DM: ooc it's about 30' wide - so probably not
[Wed Nov 16 21:35:49 2016] : Adwulf: ooc take 10
[Wed Nov 16 21:36:11 2016] : DM: Adwulf's horse also makes it across
[Wed Nov 16 21:36:18 2016] : DM: ooc I've been rolling dice secretly :-D
[Wed Nov 16 21:36:51 2016] : Adwulf: ooc I didn't even hear them rolling
[Wed Nov 16 21:37:38 2016] : DM: ooc I'm that stealthy...
[Wed Nov 16 21:37:44 2016] : DM: Eadfrid, you next?
[Wed Nov 16 21:38:02 2016] : DM: The horse is most of the way across, when...
[Wed Nov 16 21:38:11 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid gingerly prods his horse onto the bridge...
[Wed Nov 16 21:38:21 2016] : DM: the bridge collapses into the ravine. I need a reflex save for the horse, please.
[Wed Nov 16 21:39:47 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc don't have a horse node.
[Wed Nov 16 21:40:05 2016] : DM: [1d20(6) + 5] = 11
[Wed Nov 16 21:40:20 2016] : Eadfrid: [1d20(9) + 5] = 14
[Wed Nov 16 21:40:55 2016] : DM: The horse fails to jump clear, and falls into the water. It frantically begins swimming downstream, looking for somewhere to get out of the river.
[Wed Nov 16 21:41:34 2016] : DM: Any actions?
[Wed Nov 16 21:42:25 2016] : Eadfrid: it's roped right? Pull on the rope to lead it somewhere it can climb out?
[Wed Nov 16 21:42:34 2016] : Eadfrid: I think I'm still on the other side.
[Wed Nov 16 21:43:00 2016] : Adwulf: ooc G and two horses got over I think
[Wed Nov 16 21:43:08 2016] : DM: ooc yes, it is, and you are, but the river is pulling the horse downstream quite fast. You'll need to run to keep up.
[Wed Nov 16 21:43:16 2016] : DM: ooc I agree, Bert.
[Wed Nov 16 21:43:49 2016] : DM: 1 is left bank (north,with Adwulf and Eadfrid) and 2 is south bank: [1d2(2)] = 2
[Wed Nov 16 21:44:47 2016] : DM: After a fast run for Guthmund, the horse, exhausted and wet, climbs out on the riverbank where the cliff has crumbled away. It stands there shivering.
[Wed Nov 16 21:44:53 2016] : Eadfrid: Eadfrid runs along the bank, ready to grab the bridle if the horse comes to the bank.
[Wed Nov 16 21:45:11 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund holds his end of the rope, ties it to a pommel and slaps the horse to make it run
[Wed Nov 16 21:45:34 2016] : Adwulf: ooc how deep is the ravine?
[Wed Nov 16 21:45:34 2016] : Guthmund: ooc clearly this helped to drag it to the shore
[Wed Nov 16 21:45:53 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund tries to help it up the embankment
[Wed Nov 16 21:45:55 2016] : Guthmund: Handle Animal: [1d20(4) + 2] = 6
[Wed Nov 16 21:46:09 2016] : DM: ooc it's about 15ft down on your side, Adwulf.
[Wed Nov 16 21:46:13 2016] : Guthmund: oo call the high rolls for me tonight
[Wed Nov 16 21:46:27 2016] : DM: The horse is keen enough to get away from the water that it follows willingly.
[Wed Nov 16 21:47:35 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund does his best to stop it dropping dead from exposure and fright
[Wed Nov 16 21:47:41 2016] : Guthmund: Survival: [1d20(9) + 5] = 14
[Wed Nov 16 21:47:58 2016] : DM: The horse rolls its eyes at Guthmund, but it calms down.
[Wed Nov 16 21:48:12 2016] : Guthmund: ooc in exasperation?
[Wed Nov 16 21:48:18 2016] : Guthmund: ooc :-)
[Wed Nov 16 21:48:22 2016] : Eadfrid: (to Adwulf) "How are we going to get across?"
[Wed Nov 16 21:48:33 2016] : DM: ooc it would be a DC 10 Acrobatics check to jump down safely, then DC 15 Swim check to get across the river
[Wed Nov 16 21:48:45 2016] : DM: ooc or you could try climbing down
[Wed Nov 16 21:48:52 2016] : Guthmund: ooc in *that* armour?
[Wed Nov 16 21:49:14 2016] : Guthmund: ooc how broken is the bridge?
[Wed Nov 16 21:49:25 2016] : DM: ooc it's completely wrecked.
[Wed Nov 16 21:49:25 2016] : Adwulf: "Strip your armour and lower it by rope"
[Wed Nov 16 21:49:42 2016] : Guthmund: ooc could the humans make a jump?
[Wed Nov 16 21:50:06 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund makes his way to the opposite bank
[Wed Nov 16 21:50:10 2016] : DM: ooc no, it was the whole bridge that gave way (the struts at the ends) rather than planks in the middle
[Wed Nov 16 21:50:39 2016] : Adwulf: "Could be a nasty swim though. Thats a fast river"
[Wed Nov 16 21:50:44 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund throws one end of the rope across
[Wed Nov 16 21:51:10 2016] : DM: It takes two attempts, but the rope gets across successfully once Guthmund weights the end of it.
[Wed Nov 16 21:51:21 2016] : Guthmund: "I can pull your gear first, then I can anchor this end on a horse so you don't get swept away"£
[Wed Nov 16 21:52:06 2016] : DM: ooc Guthmund chooses one of the dry horses
[Wed Nov 16 21:52:15 2016] : Adwulf: "Good idea"
[Wed Nov 16 21:52:18 2016] : Guthmund: "If you tie it around your waist"
[Wed Nov 16 21:52:44 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf ties his armour to the rope
[Wed Nov 16 21:52:46 2016] : DM: OK, I'll need DC10 Acrobatics checks or Climb checks to get down to the water, and DC 5 swim checks to cross the river
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:10 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund pulls the gear across
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:12 2016] : DM: ooc it's a good thing Use Rope has been retired as a skill check ;-)
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:15 2016] : Guthmund: Strength: [1d20(10) + 4] = 14
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:25 2016] : Adwulf: Acrobatics: [1d20(9) + 7] = 16
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:37 2016] : DM: Adwulf nimbly dives into the water
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:49 2016] : Adwulf: Swim: [1d20(16) + 2] = 18
[Wed Nov 16 21:53:59 2016] : DM: ... and swims across to the other side.
[Wed Nov 16 21:54:19 2016] : DM: The water is cold, bitterly so, and his teeth chatter as he climbs out.
[Wed Nov 16 21:54:24 2016] : Adwulf: Climb: [1d20(2) + 6] = 8
[Wed Nov 16 21:54:25 2016] : DM: ooc Eadfrid?
[Wed Nov 16 21:54:52 2016] : Guthmund: Reflex: [1d20(12) + 5] = 17
[Wed Nov 16 21:55:10 2016] : Eadfrid: Climb: [1d20(14) + 4 + 4] = 22
[Wed Nov 16 21:55:21 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund is ready to take action to help
[Wed Nov 16 21:55:35 2016] : Adwulf: "Thanks. Fingers are too cold to climb"
[Wed Nov 16 21:55:39 2016] : Eadfrid: Swim: [1d20(20) + 1 + 4] = 25
[Wed Nov 16 21:55:49 2016] : Eadfrid: Taking armor off first
[Wed Nov 16 21:55:59 2016] : Eadfrid: Climb: [1d20(18) + 4 + 4] = 26
[Wed Nov 16 21:56:05 2016] : DM: Eadfrid climbs down easily, and swims like an eel. It seems that his recent clumsiness is entirely due to the armour.
[Wed Nov 16 21:56:28 2016] : Guthmund: Survival: [1d20(10) + 5] = 15
[Wed Nov 16 21:56:32 2016] : DM: ooc I assumed you'd gone down-river to where Guthmund was, and it's easier to get out - so only one climb checks needed.
[Wed Nov 16 21:56:38 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund recommends stripping off wet clothes and wrapping in blankets
[Wed Nov 16 21:57:02 2016] : Guthmund: He then goes and finds some deadwood to create a fire
[Wed Nov 16 21:57:05 2016] : Adwulf: Adwulf follows the advice
[Wed Nov 16 21:57:13 2016] : Eadfrid: ditto
[Wed Nov 16 21:57:14 2016] : Adwulf: "chatter chatter chatter"
[Wed Nov 16 21:58:19 2016] : Guthmund: "Sit together, body heat will help both of you"
[Wed Nov 16 21:58:43 2016] : Guthmund: Guthmund wraps the pair of them in as many blankets as are available
[Wed Nov 16 21:59:19 2016] : DM: Having warmed up, you set off again. You follow the banks downriver, and in the afternoon you see a broad lake, many miles long, that the river empties into.
[Wed Nov 16 21:59:53 2016] : Eadfrid: "The fort should be on the shore of this lake."
[Wed Nov 16 22:00:45 2016] : DM: At the mouth of the river stands a wooden palisade, surrounding the base of a ruined stone tower: this, it seems, must be the fort.
[Wed Nov 16 22:01:59 2016] : Guthmund: ooc brb
[Wed Nov 16 22:02:49 2016] : DM: It stands on a small rise, a hillside that has been cleared of scrub and other vegetation; isolated thorny vines form scattered mounds on the slope. A path leads up from the west, towards what is presumably the main gate of the fort.
[Wed Nov 16 22:03:22 2016] : Adwulf: "I guess we just walk on up"
[Wed Nov 16 22:04:23 2016] : Guthmund: "Or ride"
[Wed Nov 16 22:04:26 2016] : Eadfrid: "How many of these amulets do we have?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:05:07 2016] : DM: ooc you have three of them. It's only been the leaders who carry them.
[Wed Nov 16 22:05:16 2016] : DM: ooc Intelligence checks please
[Wed Nov 16 22:05:27 2016] : Eadfrid: Intelligence: [1d20(19) + 1] = 20
[Wed Nov 16 22:05:54 2016] : Adwulf: Intelligence: [1d20(1) + 2] = 3
[Wed Nov 16 22:06:01 2016] : DM: Eadfrid realises that the leaders are probably more easily recognised, and it's going to be harder to disguise yourselves if you have the amulets on display.
[Wed Nov 16 22:06:08 2016] : Guthmund: Intelligence: [1d20(18) + 0] = 18
[Wed Nov 16 22:06:16 2016] : DM: ooc Adwulf says "ooh, shiny silver amulet" and wants to wear all three of them.
[Wed Nov 16 22:06:28 2016] : Eadfrid: "We should hide them carefully or they might suspect something."
[Wed Nov 16 22:06:39 2016] : Guthmund: "Yes, I agree"
[Wed Nov 16 22:07:17 2016] : DM: ooc I've decided I'll make it a DC5 Intelligence check if your characters would reasonably know something
[Wed Nov 16 22:07:30 2016] : DM: ooc saves me railroading you
[Wed Nov 16 22:07:45 2016] : DM: So, marching up? Or preparing anything first?
[Wed Nov 16 22:07:45 2016] : Adwulf: "Oh, good idea"
[Wed Nov 16 22:07:57 2016] : Eadfrid: "Should agree on a story."
[Wed Nov 16 22:08:05 2016] : Adwulf: "Any ideas?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:08:30 2016] : Eadfrid: "Are we trying to join? Or pretending we're already members?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:09:09 2016] : Adwulf: "Just joined?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:09:14 2016] : Guthmund: "Umm, I'm not sure"
[Wed Nov 16 22:10:08 2016] : Adwulf: "First time at the fort. give it time to find our mark, do the work and get out under cover of night"
[Wed Nov 16 22:10:35 2016] : Eadfrid: "Sounds reasonable to me, Adwulf."
[Wed Nov 16 22:11:15 2016] : Guthmund: "Should we mention Kressle?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:11:42 2016] : Adwulf: "We could say she recruited us."
[Wed Nov 16 22:11:43 2016] : Eadfrid: "We killed her so probably not?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:12:25 2016] : Eadfrid: "That might work, Adwulf."
[Wed Nov 16 22:12:43 2016] : Adwulf: "We've been raiding our way down here for a week or so. Hadn't heard about the death"
[Wed Nov 16 22:13:24 2016] : Guthmund: "Yes, but don't mention the death then"
[Wed Nov 16 22:13:25 2016] : Eadfrid: *nods*
[Wed Nov 16 22:13:45 2016] : Guthmund: "Will we sound believable?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:13:57 2016] : Guthmund: "Maybe stick with a simple story"
[Wed Nov 16 22:14:11 2016] : Guthmund: "I'm not a particularly good liar"
[Wed Nov 16 22:14:46 2016] : Adwulf: "Nor I. Less detail is better"
[Wed Nov 16 22:15:07 2016] : Eadfrid: "Kressie recruited us, we've been raiding for a week and now we're here with the spoils."
[Wed Nov 16 22:15:42 2016] : Adwulf: "What have we got as spoils?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:16:29 2016] : Eadfrid: "8 bottles of liquor."
[Wed Nov 16 22:16:48 2016] : Eadfrid: "And some gold and silver."
[Wed Nov 16 22:17:11 2016] : Guthmund: "A small amount of that"
[Wed Nov 16 22:17:11 2016] : Adwulf: "So we sold anything else and drank the proceeds?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:17:36 2016] : Eadfrid: "Yeah"
[Wed Nov 16 22:18:15 2016] : Adwulf: "Wait, what was the password?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:18:47 2016] : DM: "By the bloody bones of St Gilmorg, who wants to know?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:19:13 2016] : Adwulf: "Ah, yes. Right look casual"
[Wed Nov 16 22:19:50 2016] : DM: Ready?
[Wed Nov 16 22:20:00 2016] : Adwulf: ooc yes?
[Wed Nov 16 22:20:22 2016] : Guthmund: ooc yes
[Wed Nov 16 22:20:22 2016] : Eadfrid: ooc I think so
[Wed Nov 16 22:20:52 2016] : DM: ooc riding or walking?
[Wed Nov 16 22:21:03 2016] : Eadfrid: Riding
[Wed Nov 16 22:21:28 2016] : DM: As you ride up to the gates, a voice calls "That's close enough, boys. Who are you?"
[Wed Nov 16 22:21:47 2016] : DM: When you give the correct response, the voice laughs.
[Wed Nov 16 22:22:01 2016] : DM: "Come on in, then, and we'll eat roast horse tonight!"
[Wed Nov 16 22:22:03 2016] : DM: GAME END