Contents / PnP Stuff / Logs /

[Tue Feb 10 20:22:23 2009] : DM: GAME START
[Tue Feb 10 20:22:33 2009] : Dan: ooc is Del 'here'
[Tue Feb 10 20:22:56 2009] : DM: You're looking out across the large lake with the wizard's research outpost on the island in the centre.
[Tue Feb 10 20:23:43 2009] : DM: As you look a large creature with dark gray mottles skin breaks the surface and dives down again.
[Tue Feb 10 20:24:21 2009] : Adrin: "Looks like he wasn't kidding about the Kraken then"
[Tue Feb 10 20:24:32 2009] : Oona: "Indeed"
[Tue Feb 10 20:24:40 2009] : Oona: "What's the best way to go about this... thing?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:24:50 2009] : Aliatra: "The thing looks big enough"
[Tue Feb 10 20:24:55 2009] : Dan: "Well, at least we don't need to find it"
[Tue Feb 10 20:25:28 2009] : Dan: "I was suggesting that I summon some water dwelling creatures to attack it"
[Tue Feb 10 20:26:16 2009] : Aliatra: "Let's get back from the waterfront for a bit"
[Tue Feb 10 20:26:24 2009] : Adrin: "I certainly dont fancy our chances out in the water"
[Tue Feb 10 20:27:13 2009] : DM: ooc you're still a mile from the lake
[Tue Feb 10 20:27:17 2009] : Dan: ooc how far away was it, and is it still visible?
[Tue Feb 10 20:28:14 2009] : Aliatra: "Let's stay away from the waterfront for a bit"
[Tue Feb 10 20:28:25 2009] : DM: The kraken as sunk beneath the surface again, but it was midway between the island and the near shore so about half a mile from shore.
[Tue Feb 10 20:28:50 2009] : Dan: "Yes, but we must get closer for now"
[Tue Feb 10 20:29:10 2009] : Adrin: "True"
[Tue Feb 10 20:29:31 2009] : Dan: ooc so... we have me and Oona on one horse, and Adrin and Ali on another two? i.e. Adrin's horse bought it?
[Tue Feb 10 20:29:36 2009] : Aliatra: "Of course"
[Tue Feb 10 20:29:56 2009] : Adrin: ooc yup
[Tue Feb 10 20:30:19 2009] : Dan: ooc I assume that Oona is driving ;-)
[Tue Feb 10 20:30:42 2009] : Oona: ooc do horses swim?
[Tue Feb 10 20:30:52 2009] : Oona: "We need to make sure that thing stays near the shore"
[Tue Feb 10 20:30:53 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Yes, they do
[Tue Feb 10 20:31:03 2009] : Adrin: ooc we need to get ourselves magical mounts that appear when we need them
[Tue Feb 10 20:32:08 2009] : DM: ooc horses can swim
[Tue Feb 10 20:32:10 2009] : Dan: ooc yes, but not very well with riders, less so if the riders are wearing full plate ;-)
[Tue Feb 10 20:32:25 2009] : Aliatra: ooc LOL
[Tue Feb 10 20:32:27 2009] : DM: ooc and even worse when being devoured
[Tue Feb 10 20:32:53 2009] : Adrin: ooc I imagine dead horses float though
[Tue Feb 10 20:33:13 2009] : Dan: "Shall we head closer then?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:33:29 2009] : Adrin: "Yes, but lets take it easy"
[Tue Feb 10 20:33:49 2009] : Adrin: "Can this thing leave the water and if so, how quickly?
[Tue Feb 10 20:33:51 2009] : Aliatra: "Let's try and make sure to stya out of reach of that kraken"
[Tue Feb 10 20:34:15 2009] : DM: Kraken's are completely aquatic.
[Tue Feb 10 20:34:19 2009] : DM: Krakens are completely aquatic.
[Tue Feb 10 20:34:50 2009] : Dan: "I don't think that it can Adrin"
[Tue Feb 10 20:35:17 2009] : Adrin: "Good"
[Tue Feb 10 20:35:18 2009] : Aliatra: "Think or know?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:35:51 2009] : Adrin: "So as long as we stay back a bit we should be ok"
[Tue Feb 10 20:36:04 2009] : Aliatra: "So just perring it with arrows and magic missiles should do the trick, right?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:36:39 2009] : Adrin: "Thing is, it can just swim away."
[Tue Feb 10 20:36:51 2009] : Dan: "Exactly"
[Tue Feb 10 20:37:03 2009] : Adrin: "As long as we can't cross it's done its job"
[Tue Feb 10 20:37:20 2009] : Oona: "So how many of these creatures can you summon to keep it busy?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:37:23 2009] : Dan: "So, I am hoping to drive it towards us with some summoned creatures"
[Tue Feb 10 20:37:40 2009] : Dan: "Only one of the largest ones"
[Tue Feb 10 20:37:55 2009] : Dan: "but maybe several smaller ones too"
[Tue Feb 10 20:38:19 2009] : Oona: "ok"
[Tue Feb 10 20:40:08 2009] : Adrin: Adrin keeps alert for more signs of the Kraken
[Tue Feb 10 20:40:22 2009] : Dan: "Having said that, I imagine that these actions might be a bit too much for simple creatures"
[Tue Feb 10 20:40:35 2009] : Aliatra: "Maybe best to do the driving after you summoned *all* the creatures"
[Tue Feb 10 20:40:48 2009] : Dan: "They generally just attack as I direct, not perform complex herding activities"
[Tue Feb 10 20:41:21 2009] : Dan: "I'll have to think if I can summon any intelligent creatures"
[Tue Feb 10 20:41:24 2009] : DM: The kraken surfaces closer to shore, about 250 ft away from the shore line. It looks at you with one of it's enourmous black eyes and waits.
[Tue Feb 10 20:41:26 2009] : Adrin: "Attack is probably the only thing that could make it move, thats assuming its even slightly afraid of them"
[Tue Feb 10 20:41:51 2009] : Adrin: "Ah, well I think the element of surprise is gone"
[Tue Feb 10 20:42:15 2009] : Aliatra: ooc You mention driving :P
[Tue Feb 10 20:42:47 2009] : Aliatra: "Is it intelligent?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:42:58 2009] : Dan: ooc how far are we from the shore?
[Tue Feb 10 20:43:17 2009] : DM: ooc I don't know, how close did you get?
[Tue Feb 10 20:43:36 2009] : Dan: ooc 50ft??
[Tue Feb 10 20:43:48 2009] : Adrin: ooc sounds good
[Tue Feb 10 20:44:04 2009] : Dan: "I can hit him with a fireball from here"
[Tue Feb 10 20:44:05 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Sounds about right
[Tue Feb 10 20:45:23 2009] : Adrin: "Would it do any good though?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:45:48 2009] : Dan: "It's partially out of the water - it would be damaged"
[Tue Feb 10 20:45:59 2009] : Oona: "I really have no idea as to how to make it stay around"
[Tue Feb 10 20:46:18 2009] : Dan: ooc that's my assumption - Dan knows more about his magic so am I correct DM?
[Tue Feb 10 20:46:51 2009] : Aliatra: "Attacking it might anger it enough to stay close, possibly"
[Tue Feb 10 20:46:52 2009] : Adrin: "I keep coming back to the problem that it can just swim away at will"
[Tue Feb 10 20:46:57 2009] : DM: ooc yeah
[Tue Feb 10 20:47:45 2009] : Adrin: "How smart do you think it is?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:47:54 2009] : Oona: "ok, what do we have to lose in trying to attack"
[Tue Feb 10 20:47:58 2009] : Oona: "and see what happens"
[Tue Feb 10 20:48:00 2009] : DM: ooc they're highly intelligent
[Tue Feb 10 20:48:03 2009] : Oona: "I would say, if worse comes to worse"
[Tue Feb 10 20:48:11 2009] : Dan: ooc does Dan know that?
[Tue Feb 10 20:48:12 2009] : Oona: "it will stay away when it's too wounded"
[Tue Feb 10 20:48:19 2009] : Oona: "and we come back with another plan tomorrow"
[Tue Feb 10 20:48:30 2009] : Oona: "it's not like it's going to follow us in our campsite"
[Tue Feb 10 20:49:20 2009] : Adrin: "Still doesn't get us anywhere"
[Tue Feb 10 20:49:22 2009] : DM: ooc yes, I'm sure I mentioned it last week.
[Tue Feb 10 20:49:22 2009] : Dan: ooc does Dan know it's highly intelligent DM? Should I take your oocs as things that Dan knows?
[Tue Feb 10 20:49:37 2009] : Dan: "It's highly intelligent Adrin"
[Tue Feb 10 20:49:56 2009] : Dan: "So it's unlikely to come to us if we hurt it!
[Tue Feb 10 20:50:13 2009] : DM: ooc "A kraken is a 30ft long squid, they're highly intelligent and cruel are are commonly found deep under the sea where they control vast domains"
[Tue Feb 10 20:50:23 2009] : Adrin: "Its never going to stick around once its wounded. It can just wait, submerged and pick us off if we try to swim"
[Tue Feb 10 20:50:34 2009] : Dan: "It will also out-think anything that tries to herd it I'd guess"
[Tue Feb 10 20:50:58 2009] : Dan: "Exactly Adrin. So what to do?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:51:18 2009] : Dan: "I'll only get one shot with a fireball"
[Tue Feb 10 20:52:00 2009] : Oona: "can we paralyze it?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:52:21 2009] : Adrin: "and thats not likely to kill or seriously injure it"
[Tue Feb 10 20:52:24 2009] : Aliatra: "Or keep it occupied elsewhere so we can walk to the island?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:52:41 2009] : Dan: "I can also hit it with chain lightning - it's a more damaging spell"
[Tue Feb 10 20:53:08 2009] : Dan: "But no, it will not kill it, unless it's already wounded"
[Tue Feb 10 20:54:30 2009] : Aliatra: "We need to kill or incapacitate it"
[Tue Feb 10 20:54:55 2009] : Adrin: "Maybe I'm going soft, but how about we ask if we can cross"
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:07 2009] : Oona: Oona laughs
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:11 2009] : Dan: "Agreed, but very little that I can do will reach so far into the lake"
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:14 2009] : Oona: "that's probably worth a shot !"
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:28 2009] : Dan: "OK, try it"
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:39 2009] : Dan: "You might at least get it in range"
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:43 2009] : Aliatra: "Adrin? Is that really you?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:55:48 2009] : DM: ooc water breathing and water walking are level 3 cleric spells
[Tue Feb 10 20:56:33 2009] : Adrin: "Yes it is. We can't really hurt it and we need to get across. Ay other suggestions?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:57:01 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Which is why I suggested walking over
[Tue Feb 10 20:57:30 2009] : Aliatra: "Let's wait until tomorrow so I can prepare spells to get us to the island"
[Tue Feb 10 20:57:51 2009] : Dan: "Fine, then I can try to optimise my spells"
[Tue Feb 10 20:58:01 2009] : Oona: "How?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:58:06 2009] : Adrin: Adrin dismounts
[Tue Feb 10 20:58:16 2009] : Aliatra: "How what?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:58:31 2009] : Oona: "How are you getting us to the island?"
[Tue Feb 10 20:58:33 2009] : Adrin: "I'm going to take a walk down closer to the shore and see if it'll talk to me"
[Tue Feb 10 20:58:42 2009] : Oona: Oona looks puzzled
[Tue Feb 10 20:59:00 2009] : Dan: Dan walks with Adrin
[Tue Feb 10 20:59:02 2009] : Aliatra: "We're walking"
[Tue Feb 10 21:00:55 2009] : Adrin: "Dan, what do you think is the reach of that thing?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:01:24 2009] : Oona: "on water?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:01:32 2009] : Aliatra: "I can have us all able to breathe under water for a couple of hours, that should get us across, and unnoticed at that"
[Tue Feb 10 21:01:54 2009] : Kraken: The kraken's tentacles are 60 ft long.
[Tue Feb 10 21:02:53 2009] : Adrin: "I suppose this is close enough then"
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:02 2009] : Oona: ooc 60 FEET???
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:12 2009] : DM: ooc yes
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:20 2009] : Oona: "I don't believe one second that that thing will not notice us"
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:27 2009] : Dan: "Quite long"
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:31 2009] : Oona: "But that may able us to kill it in its element?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:51 2009] : DM: The kraken swims closer and you notice as it has 10 tentacles.
[Tue Feb 10 21:03:55 2009] : Dan: "Ali, I have a feeling that it can see pretty damned well underwater"
[Tue Feb 10 21:04:13 2009] : Dan: "Feel free to chat to it Adrin"
[Tue Feb 10 21:04:19 2009] : Dan: ooc how close is it?
[Tue Feb 10 21:04:30 2009] : DM: Two 60ft long ones with fearsome hooked ends and 8 shorter 'arms' that are only 30ft long.
[Tue Feb 10 21:04:47 2009] : DM: The kraken is now 100 ft from the shore
[Tue Feb 10 21:04:50 2009] : Aliatra: "I was talking about doing it after we made sure the kraken won't bother us, actually"
[Tue Feb 10 21:04:52 2009] : Adrin: ooc 'only'
[Tue Feb 10 21:05:27 2009] : Oona: "right"
[Tue Feb 10 21:05:28 2009] : Aliatra: "All I think is that if we walk those wizards will not see us coming"
[Tue Feb 10 21:05:38 2009] : Oona: "Can I climb on it and try to incapacitate it?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:06:09 2009] : Dan: "Fair enough Ali"
[Tue Feb 10 21:06:36 2009] : Dan: "If you can dodge all 10 tentacles while you swim, then maybe Oona"
[Tue Feb 10 21:06:43 2009] : Aliatra: "Don't attack it unless it's sure we can't reason with it"
[Tue Feb 10 21:06:46 2009] : Dan: "Fancy your chances?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:07:05 2009] : Adrin: "Walking under sounds good, but not against those tentacles"
[Tue Feb 10 21:07:10 2009] : Dan: "Oh, and then you need to work out how"
[Tue Feb 10 21:07:34 2009] : Oona: "No i was thinking, if you guys keep it busy"
[Tue Feb 10 21:07:41 2009] : Oona: "while I climb on it, aided with a potion"
[Tue Feb 10 21:07:48 2009] : Oona: "to find the soft spot"
[Tue Feb 10 21:07:54 2009] : Oona: "Does it have a soft spot at all?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:08:19 2009] : DM: Not one you're aware of.
[Tue Feb 10 21:08:41 2009] : Oona: ooc would a spider climb potion allow me to climb along its tentacles or something
[Tue Feb 10 21:08:49 2009] : Oona: ooc /me sees the kraken as a Nessie
[Tue Feb 10 21:08:49 2009] : Dan: "The eyes are usually a good place to start, but that's just an obvious answer and a guess"
[Tue Feb 10 21:08:55 2009] : Oona: ooc maybe i'm wrong
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:08 2009] : Adrin: ooc thats kinda what I'm imagining too
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:10 2009] : Dan: ooc Kraken in a giant mollusc
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:16 2009] : Dan: ooc in = is
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:18 2009] : Oona: ooc yeah, just saw that
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:23 2009] : Oona: ooc a calamar of sorts
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:30 2009] : DM: ooc yes
[Tue Feb 10 21:09:34 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Hmmm, calamari
[Tue Feb 10 21:10:01 2009] : Dan: ooc yum - I bet Dan's never tasted such a treat ;-)
[Tue Feb 10 21:10:13 2009] : Oona: ooc darn
[Tue Feb 10 21:12:14 2009] : Dan: Dan shouts
[Tue Feb 10 21:12:27 2009] : Adrin: Adrin waves
[Tue Feb 10 21:12:31 2009] : Dan: "Hello there"
[Tue Feb 10 21:12:42 2009] : Oona: Oona hides
[Tue Feb 10 21:13:17 2009] : Adrin: ooc typical
[Tue Feb 10 21:13:24 2009] : Oona: Hide Skill Check: [1d20+18] => [4,18] = (22)
[Tue Feb 10 21:13:52 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra looks and watches
[Tue Feb 10 21:14:21 2009] : Kraken: The kraken replies in a deep, slow voice. "Greetings, puny land dwellers. Have you come to join me the these waters for some sport?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:14:52 2009] : Kraken: "Shall I tear you limb from limb first or simply swallow you whole?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:15:04 2009] : Kraken: "The difficult questions I must ponder."
[Tue Feb 10 21:15:10 2009] : Adrin: "Thats not my usual choice of sport"
[Tue Feb 10 21:15:35 2009] : Aliatra: "Eating us won't fill you up for long, now would it?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:16:16 2009] : Kraken: "A tasty appetizer."
[Tue Feb 10 21:16:34 2009] : Adrin: "What is the main course?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:17:04 2009] : Dan: "Look, none of us want any unpleasantness. How about you let us cross, and we let you be?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:17:18 2009] : Kraken: "Perhaps a fat wizard from their isle."
[Tue Feb 10 21:17:38 2009] : Kraken: "Let you cross? A novel idea for sure."
[Tue Feb 10 21:17:48 2009] : Adrin: "We thought you worked for them"
[Tue Feb 10 21:17:49 2009] : Kraken: "What purpose would that serve?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:18:02 2009] : Aliatra: "And we might toss you some of those fat wizards"
[Tue Feb 10 21:19:16 2009] : Kraken: "WORK FOR THEM? These wizards trapped me here in the disgusting sweet shallow water, I would devour them all if i could."
[Tue Feb 10 21:19:36 2009] : Adrin: "Ahh, maybe we could help you there"
[Tue Feb 10 21:19:48 2009] : Kraken: "How?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:20:34 2009] : Aliatra: Whispering to Dan: "How?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:21:01 2009] : Adrin: "If we were able to get to the island perhaps we could out how they got you here and send you home"
[Tue Feb 10 21:21:02 2009] : Oona: Oona comes out of wherever she was badly hiding
[Tue Feb 10 21:21:08 2009] : Aliatra: "If you have been trapped here and we can free you, we will do whatever we can"
[Tue Feb 10 21:21:09 2009] : Oona: "Now we're talking"
[Tue Feb 10 21:21:52 2009] : Kraken: "An empty promise? What can you do to move me from this place?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:22:10 2009] : Oona: brb
[Tue Feb 10 21:22:32 2009] : Aliatra: "We don't make empty promises"
[Tue Feb 10 21:22:50 2009] : Dan: "Without seeing how they got you here, we can't know that"
[Tue Feb 10 21:22:55 2009] : Adrin: "Perhaps nothing. Perhaps everything. Either way you dont really lose
[Tue Feb 10 21:22:58 2009] : Adrin: "
[Tue Feb 10 21:23:05 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra looks sincere
[Tue Feb 10 21:23:19 2009] : Kraken: Sense Motive Skill Check: [1d20+17] => [6,17] = (23)
[Tue Feb 10 21:24:12 2009] : Kraken: "Very well. You may cross."
[Tue Feb 10 21:24:42 2009] : Aliatra: "Thank you"
[Tue Feb 10 21:24:43 2009] : Dan: "How can we trust you not to attack us as we cross?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:25:09 2009] : Aliatra: Sense Motive Skill Check: [1d20+8] => [9,8] = (17)
[Tue Feb 10 21:25:36 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra listens very carefully to the kraken's answer
[Tue Feb 10 21:25:37 2009] : Adrin: "We've asked it to trust that we'll keep a promise..."
[Tue Feb 10 21:25:44 2009] : Kraken: "How can I trust you to keep your end of the bargin? You either trust and cross or you do not and whatever plan the wizards have will remain unthwarted."
[Tue Feb 10 21:26:31 2009] : Adrin: Adrin walks towards the shoreline
[Tue Feb 10 21:26:43 2009] : Dan: "True I guess"""
[Tue Feb 10 21:27:11 2009] : Dan: "Umm, Adrin, are you intending to swim across?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:27:13 2009] : Oona: "Well, let us think about this calmly"
[Tue Feb 10 21:27:17 2009] : Adrin: "Merely a gesture of trust"
[Tue Feb 10 21:27:41 2009] : Kraken: The kraken doesn't move any closer.
[Tue Feb 10 21:27:55 2009] : Oona: "I don't understand one thing"
[Tue Feb 10 21:27:56 2009] : Adrin: "Our new enemies enemy could probably reach me, but I'm going to trust that he wont"
[Tue Feb 10 21:28:21 2009] : Oona: "kraken, if you hate those wizards, what keeps you from killing us on the way back?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:28:32 2009] : Kraken: "Oh this is amusing, the landdweller plans to swim across?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:28:36 2009] : Oona: "I mean there is no lose situation here"
[Tue Feb 10 21:28:45 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra shrugs: "Either we trust the kraken or we don't. point is we can't get across without getting close to him"
[Tue Feb 10 21:28:48 2009] : Adrin: "Oh, I'm swimming nowhere"
[Tue Feb 10 21:28:53 2009] : Oona: "At best, we get in and manage to thwart those wizards' plans"
[Tue Feb 10 21:29:00 2009] : Oona: "And tehre is a good chance you can go free"
[Tue Feb 10 21:29:10 2009] : Oona: "At worst, we fail, and you're none the worse than you are today"
[Tue Feb 10 21:29:13 2009] : Dan: "Well, we must rest before we cross"
[Tue Feb 10 21:29:14 2009] : Oona: "Just a little hungrier"
[Tue Feb 10 21:29:17 2009] : Aliatra: "We plan to take a walk under water, first thing tomorrow"
[Tue Feb 10 21:29:42 2009] : Kraken: "Very well."
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:03 2009] : Dan: "Although my worry is that what's stopping me teleporting over is fear of an antimagic field"
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:05 2009] : Kraken: ooc Oona, remember that there's a portal from the island to the shore that you can use to get back.
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:17 2009] : Oona: ooc right, I forgot
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:26 2009] : Adrin: ooc if we can figure out how to use it
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:30 2009] : Dan: "Imagine what happens when one of those hits a water breathing spell..."
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:31 2009] : Oona: "Ah, wait. The portal to the island back"
[Tue Feb 10 21:30:45 2009] : Oona: "You are right, we could slip past you"
[Tue Feb 10 21:31:03 2009] : Oona: Oona mutters under her breath
[Tue Feb 10 21:31:26 2009] : Oona: "How can we show that we are really meaning this? It's not like we're here to help the wizards"
[Tue Feb 10 21:31:49 2009] : Oona: "Wait, another thing though. If we're here to help the wizards, why don't we just ask them to let us teleport inside?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:03 2009] : Adrin: "oona, we can't really prove that anymore than the big guy can prove he wont eat us on the way over"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:08 2009] : Oona: "I wish I had something to give you as a token of faith"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:22 2009] : Oona: "No we can't Adrin"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:25 2009] : Oona: "But we can try"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:32 2009] : Oona: "It was your idea we talk to it too"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:46 2009] : Oona: "And I ws ready - please forgive me - to try and find a way to dispose of it"
[Tue Feb 10 21:32:52 2009] : Oona: "You were right in trying to talk"
[Tue Feb 10 21:33:40 2009] : Adrin: "Just seemed to be the only option. Its not really like me is it?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:34:01 2009] : Dan: ooc just so that you know - Krakens are intelligent and cruel - Dan would have mentioned this... we *are* dealing with an evil creature here... Any alignment clashes at all?
[Tue Feb 10 21:34:05 2009] : Aliatra: "Noty really"
[Tue Feb 10 21:34:41 2009] : Kraken: ooc I don't see an issue.
[Tue Feb 10 21:34:45 2009] : Oona: ooc evil creature might do anything to get out of the trap they're in. Evil does not mean lying all the time, does it?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:34:57 2009] : Oona: ooc I don't either.
[Tue Feb 10 21:35:01 2009] : Oona: ooc :)
[Tue Feb 10 21:35:04 2009] : Adrin: ooc no lawful stupid alignments here
[Tue Feb 10 21:35:43 2009] : Oona: "Ok, so Kraken, letting us through is not an option. Or is it?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:35:51 2009] : Dan: Dan moves away from the shore to rest
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:13 2009] : Adrin: ooc I think that a deal with a minor evil-ness is worth it to prevent the bigger, more dangerous evilness of the wizards
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:23 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra is curious about what Oona is going to do
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:31 2009] : Dan: ooc Oona is asking this right in front of the Kraken ;-)
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:37 2009] : Kraken: The kraken rolls its eyes and sinks beneath the surface muttering something about the stupidity of most landdwellers.
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:42 2009] : Adrin: "Well, we may see you tomorrow. We need to rest and prepare"
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:46 2009] : Oona: ooc yes, I've been talking to it the whole time.
[Tue Feb 10 21:36:54 2009] : Kraken: ooc it already agreed.
[Tue Feb 10 21:37:35 2009] : Oona: ooc ok, sorry
[Tue Feb 10 21:37:44 2009] : Oona: Sense Motive Skill Check: [1d20+13] => [15,13] = (28)
[Tue Feb 10 21:37:49 2009] : Dan: ooc I got that, but your comment was not to it!
[Tue Feb 10 21:37:59 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra lies down to rest
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:04 2009] : Oona: ooc (I should have rolled that earlier)
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:09 2009] : Oona: ooc anyway...
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:09 2009] : Dan: "I am unsure about this"
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:24 2009] : Aliatra: "About what?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:28 2009] : Dan: "I don't like treating with such evil creatures"
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:34 2009] : Adrin: "Any better options?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:38:43 2009] : Dan: "I appreciate that we are at somewhat of an impasse"
[Tue Feb 10 21:39:03 2009] : Dan: "Not really Adrin, but I don't have to like it"
[Tue Feb 10 21:39:04 2009] : Oona: "Right. The question is whether its evilness is greater than its desire to be free"
[Tue Feb 10 21:39:19 2009] : Adrin: "Well Dan, tough"
[Tue Feb 10 21:39:24 2009] : Aliatra: "And how great a danger it is when free"
[Tue Feb 10 21:39:32 2009] : Dan: "No Oona, you clearly do not understand my misgivings at all"
[Tue Feb 10 21:40:02 2009] : Dan: "I am not concerned for my safety, but for that of others should we permit such a dangerous creature to live"
[Tue Feb 10 21:40:26 2009] : Adrin: "How many people have you heard being killed by krakens?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:40:33 2009] : Adrin: ooc heard of
[Tue Feb 10 21:40:58 2009] : Dan: "I am from the mountains Adrin. I have only read about them in books, but they are a danger to sailors"
[Tue Feb 10 21:41:29 2009] : Adrin: "Fair enough, but we know that a lot of people are at risk from the wizards"
[Tue Feb 10 21:41:33 2009] : Dan: "You heard him, he kills for sport and fun"
[Tue Feb 10 21:41:55 2009] : Dan: "Yes, yes, I agree. As I said, I don't have to like the situation, that's all"
[Tue Feb 10 21:42:19 2009] : Oona: "and another question. DO we have any kind of way to actually kill that creature?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:42:22 2009] : Adrin: "Ok, so we're settled"
[Tue Feb 10 21:42:28 2009] : Aliatra: "Sometimes you have to decide what's the lesser of 2 evils and live with your choice"
[Tue Feb 10 21:43:03 2009] : Dan: "I'm not certain that what the wizards are doing is evil to be honest"
[Tue Feb 10 21:43:26 2009] : Dan: "As a practitioner of magic, I find it terrifying, but why is is evil?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:43:54 2009] : Adrin: "Maybe not evil, but definately reckless and dangerous"
[Tue Feb 10 21:44:00 2009] : Dan: "I will freely admit that I undertake this taks for selfish reasons. Not because of some moral imperative"
[Tue Feb 10 21:44:01 2009] : Aliatra: "Does it do good or does it hurt?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:44:06 2009] : Adrin: "Thoughtless. Careless"
[Tue Feb 10 21:44:21 2009] : Dan: "Neither that I can see Ali"
[Tue Feb 10 21:44:55 2009] : Aliatra: "How about the wizards in the tower: are they hurt or helped by their brethren?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:44:57 2009] : Dan: "Does it stop curing spells, yes. Does it stop inflict spells, yes"
[Tue Feb 10 21:45:23 2009] : Aliatra (enter): 21:45
[Tue Feb 10 21:45:24 2009] : Aliatra (exit): 21:45
[Tue Feb 10 21:45:24 2009] : Aliatra (enter): 21:45
[Tue Feb 10 21:45:28 2009] : Dan: "In what way is that something for us to pass judgement on?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:45:33 2009] : Dan: "Does it stop curing spells, yes. Does it stop inflict spells, yes"
[Tue Feb 10 21:45:36 2009] : Adrin: "The Kraken does what it does for fun, but these wizards did what they did for selfish reasons. Is there a difference?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:05 2009] : Aliatra: Booting '(14) Aliatra' from server...
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:07 2009] : Aliatra (exit): 21:46
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:15 2009] : Dan: "But, have the wizards' actions killed anyone?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:26 2009] : Aliatra: "I find that action speak louder than intentions"
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:30 2009] : Dan: "As I say, I'm committed to this quest"
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:45 2009] : Adrin: "Not that I know, but then I dont know that the kraken has either"
[Tue Feb 10 21:46:51 2009] : Dan: "Just don't try to sell it to me as morally imperative"
[Tue Feb 10 21:47:58 2009] : Aliatra: "Not trying to sell you anything. Just telling you that you have to stand by your own actions, regardless of your motives"
[Tue Feb 10 21:48:11 2009] : Dan: "I never said otherwise"
[Tue Feb 10 21:49:10 2009] : Dan: "Yet there was certainly a suggestion of picking between evils where I see none in one direction, only a need for action"
[Tue Feb 10 21:49:36 2009] : Oona: "OK. So we trust the thing? At least for the time we go across the water?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:49:43 2009] : Adrin: ooc brb
[Tue Feb 10 21:49:53 2009] : Aliatra: "More as what seems to be the worse thing to do, according to you"
[Tue Feb 10 21:50:00 2009] : Dan: "Anyway, I need to think on things. This antimagic matter is most vexing regardless of morality"
[Tue Feb 10 21:51:59 2009] : Kraken: ooc I would consider anti-magic to be like nuclear energy in the real world.
[Tue Feb 10 21:52:43 2009] : Kraken: ooc So, for example, I would consider basic research into anti-magic to be acceptable but using it as a weapon is definately not.
[Tue Feb 10 21:53:08 2009] : Kraken: ooc That's not to prejudice any of your characters own opinions on the matter.
[Tue Feb 10 21:53:13 2009] : Dan: ooc good comparison
[Tue Feb 10 21:53:19 2009] : Adrin: ooc ok
[Tue Feb 10 21:54:02 2009] : Adrin: ooc approx what time is it?
[Tue Feb 10 21:54:22 2009] : Kraken: ooc it'll be about 3 pm now.
[Tue Feb 10 21:55:10 2009] : Adrin: "We've a few more hours of daylight. Any suggestions for what we do?"
[Tue Feb 10 21:55:23 2009] : Adrin: ooc no charades!
[Tue Feb 10 21:55:44 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Simon says!
[Tue Feb 10 21:56:07 2009] : Oona: ooc jakadi
[Tue Feb 10 21:56:11 2009] : DM: ooc what?
[Tue Feb 10 21:56:23 2009] : Oona: ooc that's Simon Says in French. Jacques a dit :P
[Tue Feb 10 21:57:06 2009] : Aliatra: ooc LOL
[Tue Feb 10 21:57:19 2009] : Dan: "I must study."
[Tue Feb 10 21:58:01 2009] : Aliatra: "We could explore for a bit, maybe try and find out where the portal leads to. Find a place to keep our horses save while we're oway"
[Tue Feb 10 21:58:09 2009] : Aliatra: away even
[Tue Feb 10 21:59:08 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Plenty of time to study before bed
[Tue Feb 10 21:59:43 2009] : Adrin: "Ah forget the horses, they'll probably be dead by morning anyway. We dont exactly have a good record."
[Tue Feb 10 22:00:25 2009] : Aliatra: "Mine it still very much alive and I *hate* walking in the country"
[Tue Feb 10 22:01:42 2009] : DM: If you do explore the lake shore you find the portal and a small house and stables near it. Both are deserted and empty although there is still plenty of hay and straw in the loft.
[Tue Feb 10 22:02:20 2009] : DM: The portal itself is a stone ring standing vertically about 2 meters in diameter.
[Tue Feb 10 22:02:26 2009] : Aliatra: "Better leave the horses here then. At least that gives them a chance to survive until we get back"
[Tue Feb 10 22:04:25 2009] : Adrin: "Better than nothing"
[Tue Feb 10 22:05:00 2009] : Dan: Once the others have stopped searching, Dan settles down
[Tue Feb 10 22:05:28 2009] : Dan: "What I really want to work out is what spells might work under water"
[Tue Feb 10 22:05:40 2009] : Dan: "I don't trust this Kraken"
[Tue Feb 10 22:05:52 2009] : Dan: "So we must be prepared"
[Tue Feb 10 22:06:12 2009] : Aliatra (enter): 22:06
[Tue Feb 10 22:06:18 2009] : Dan: "Ali, does your spell allow one to talk underwater too?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:06:27 2009] : DM: ooc yes it would.
[Tue Feb 10 22:06:32 2009] : Aliatra: Booting '(16) Aliatra' from server...
[Tue Feb 10 22:06:33 2009] : Aliatra (exit): 22:06
[Tue Feb 10 22:06:55 2009] : Aliatra: "Oud bodies will see water as we now see air"
[Tue Feb 10 22:07:39 2009] : Dan: Dan takes a thin cord of leather and starts putting a tie cord on his staff
[Tue Feb 10 22:07:58 2009] : Dan: "OK, but presumably my staff will try to float away"
[Tue Feb 10 22:08:10 2009] : DM: ooc Craig, unless you feel it would be unrealistic and unimmersive (pun, heh) I'm happy for all spells to work fine underwater.
[Tue Feb 10 22:08:18 2009] : Adrin: ooc lol
[Tue Feb 10 22:08:26 2009] : Dan: ooc no, that's fine
[Tue Feb 10 22:08:27 2009] : Aliatra: ooc LOL
[Tue Feb 10 22:09:26 2009] : Oona: Oona does the same with her weapons
[Tue Feb 10 22:09:35 2009] : Oona: "Good idea that, with the cord"
[Tue Feb 10 22:09:38 2009] : Dan: Spellcraft Skill Check: [1d20+23] => [16,23] = (39)
[Tue Feb 10 22:10:08 2009] : Dan: "I'm reasonably confident that magic works mostly similar underwater"
[Tue Feb 10 22:10:22 2009] : Dan: "So as long as I can speak, I should be OK"
[Tue Feb 10 22:10:32 2009] : Adrin: "Yeah, I wonder if that cord thing would be possible with my sword"
[Tue Feb 10 22:10:37 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra makes sure that anything that's not in her pack will stay with her
[Tue Feb 10 22:10:53 2009] : Adrin: "I wouldn't want to drop it down a deep underwater hole"
[Tue Feb 10 22:11:18 2009] : Dan: "Just attach it with a foot of cord Adrin"
[Tue Feb 10 22:11:26 2009] : Aliatra: "Your sword is heavy enough to stay in its scabbard, I would think. It's not gonna float, now it it?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:11:32 2009] : Dan: "To your wrist"
[Tue Feb 10 22:11:50 2009] : Dan: "Better to travel armed Ali"
[Tue Feb 10 22:12:07 2009] : Adrin: "I know that Ali, but if we are attacked I dont want to lose it"
[Tue Feb 10 22:12:08 2009] : Dan: "There may be more than a feckless Kraken in that pond"
[Tue Feb 10 22:12:43 2009] : Dan: ooc umm, meant faithless, not feckless
[Tue Feb 10 22:13:04 2009] : Adrin: Adrin goes off and works a cord onto his sword
[Tue Feb 10 22:13:14 2009] : Adrin: ooc feckless sounded better though
[Tue Feb 10 22:13:47 2009] : Aliatra: ooc It does
[Tue Feb 10 22:15:02 2009] : Oona: Oona makes sure her swords are tied and adjusts her backpack and everything she has so it does not get lost in the water
[Tue Feb 10 22:15:23 2009] : Oona: ooc do I have time for a cig before we go underwater? At least I'll get a taste for breathing funny ;-)
[Tue Feb 10 22:15:44 2009] : DM: ooc I suppose so.
[Tue Feb 10 22:16:14 2009] : Oona: ooc you won't even see me gone ;-)
[Tue Feb 10 22:16:15 2009] : Oona: ooc brb
[Tue Feb 10 22:16:38 2009] : Aliatra: ooc brb too
[Tue Feb 10 22:19:08 2009] : Dan: ooc are we getting an uneventful night? need to sort out spells
[Tue Feb 10 22:19:45 2009] : DM: ooc No encounters today
[Tue Feb 10 22:21:44 2009] : Oona: ooc back
[Tue Feb 10 22:21:51 2009] : Aliatra: ooc back
[Tue Feb 10 22:22:55 2009] : DM: The following day sees you rested and prepared.
[Tue Feb 10 22:24:21 2009] : Aliatra: ooc I just remembered, I can't do the weekend of April 26, my youngest daughter and her husband are emigrating to New Zealand that Sunday
[Tue Feb 10 22:25:53 2009] : DM: ooc let's sort out a weekend via email, not now.
[Tue Feb 10 22:26:18 2009] : Aliatra: ooc OK
[Tue Feb 10 22:26:41 2009] : DM: Ready to venture underwater
[Tue Feb 10 22:26:51 2009] : Aliatra: ooc Yep
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:14 2009] : Dan: ooc yes
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:33 2009] : DM: ooc then do so!
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:35 2009] : Adrin: ooc aye
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:39 2009] : Aliatra (enter): 22:27
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:52 2009] : Aliatra: Booting '(17) Aliatra' from server...
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:53 2009] : Aliatra (exit): 22:27
[Tue Feb 10 22:27:53 2009] : Adrin: "Are you sure this is going to work, Ali?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:28:04 2009] : Oona: "Yes, it's going to work"
[Tue Feb 10 22:28:56 2009] : Adrin: "I meant the spell"
[Tue Feb 10 22:28:57 2009] : Dan: Aryadan Casts: Mage Armour (level 1): Gives subject +4 armor bonus for 1 hour/level
[Tue Feb 10 22:29:08 2009] : Aliatra: "Positive, Adrin. We will be able to breath for almost 3 hours under water, which should give us plenty of time to get there"
[Tue Feb 10 22:29:30 2009] : Aliatra: "And to make really sure, I prayed to recieve that spell twice"
[Tue Feb 10 22:29:46 2009] : Aliatra: receive
[Tue Feb 10 22:30:12 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra gets everybody together at the waterfront and casts her spell
[Tue Feb 10 22:30:21 2009] : Adrin: "Ok. Lets do it"
[Tue Feb 10 22:30:26 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra Casts 3: Water Breathing (lvl 3) Subjects can breath under water
[Tue Feb 10 22:30:42 2009] : DM: ooc my book says only 1 subject
[Tue Feb 10 22:31:31 2009] : DM: ooc it's also 2 hrs per level.
[Tue Feb 10 22:32:02 2009] : Aliatra: ooc My description says creatures touched and the duration is divided between them (2 hours/level)
[Tue Feb 10 22:32:20 2009] : DM: ooc yes, just read that, sorry.
[Tue Feb 10 22:33:10 2009] : Aliatra: ooc So 14 hours/4 members is 3.5 hours of breathing dangerously
[Tue Feb 10 22:33:20 2009] : DM: Aliatra casts the spell and you don't feel any different and you breath air normally.
[Tue Feb 10 22:33:35 2009] : Adrin: "Is that it?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:33:48 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra walks into the water and submerges as she keeps walking: "Follw me and find out"
[Tue Feb 10 22:34:01 2009] : DM: You don't see any signs of the kraken on the lake surface.
[Tue Feb 10 22:34:06 2009] : Adrin: Adrin follows
[Tue Feb 10 22:34:17 2009] : Aliatra: ooc He would :)
[Tue Feb 10 22:34:20 2009] : Dan: Dan ensures his items are stowes and that is staff is tied on with cord, then follows
[Tue Feb 10 22:35:03 2009] : DM: You wade into the lake waters, the water is cool and the clammy weed catches on your legs.
[Tue Feb 10 22:35:56 2009] : DM: Soon you're submerged and you have to force yourself to breath the water as your instinct is to hold your breath.
[Tue Feb 10 22:36:21 2009] : Oona: "blurb blurb"
[Tue Feb 10 22:36:30 2009] : Dan: "ugh"
[Tue Feb 10 22:36:56 2009] : DM: The lake bed is gravel and small stones and makes for relatively easy walking as you decend deeper into the depths.
[Tue Feb 10 22:37:31 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra forces herself to speak: "Everybody alright?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:37:44 2009] : DM: Visibility is surprisingly good and the early morning sun forms shifting beams through the water and dappled patterned on the lake bed.
[Tue Feb 10 22:38:10 2009] : Adrin: Adrin nods, but doesn't look too comfortable
[Tue Feb 10 22:38:18 2009] : Dan: "Seemingly so"
[Tue Feb 10 22:38:25 2009] : DM: The occasional curious fish takes a look before darting away in a flash of silver scales.
[Tue Feb 10 22:38:43 2009] : Aliatra: "This is weird, I never tried it before"
[Tue Feb 10 22:39:10 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra laughs as she walks along and looks at her surroundings
[Tue Feb 10 22:40:12 2009] : DM: After about twenty minutes walking you estimate you're about half way across, deep in the depths of the lake the sun doesn't penetrate and it's dark and gloomy.
[Tue Feb 10 22:40:17 2009] : Dan: Dan remains vigilant and untrusting
[Tue Feb 10 22:40:56 2009] : Dan: Dan speaks a spell and touches the end of his staff
[Tue Feb 10 22:41:13 2009] : Aliatra: "We better be sure we don't get lost and miss the island entirely"
[Tue Feb 10 22:41:23 2009] : Dan: Light springs from the end of it
[Tue Feb 10 22:41:25 2009] : Oona: Oona follows the others, wathcing carefully around her
[Tue Feb 10 22:41:33 2009] : DM: Suddenly the the gargantuan bulk of the kraken looms into view about 100 ft off to the left. It's swimming lazily, it's 10 tentacles and arms wafting slowly and carelessly.
[Tue Feb 10 22:41:39 2009] : Dan: ooc no node for the light spell!
[Tue Feb 10 22:42:34 2009] : Kraken: "What tasty morsels are these, walking boldly into my domain!?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:42:37 2009] : Aliatra: Aliatra mutters "Lumen" and the ring on her hand shines brightly
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:01 2009] : Adrin: Adrin waves
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:05 2009] : Dan: "The very same that talked with you yesterday"
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:14 2009] : Oona: ooc roflmao @ Adrin being in a waving mood
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:22 2009] : Kraken: "Did you truely think I would let you cross through my lake and live?"
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:43 2009] : Kraken: "Run! And maybe you can escape!"
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:55 2009] : Adrin: "only if you wanted to live here forever"
[Tue Feb 10 22:43:58 2009] : Kraken: A tentacle lashes threatening.
[Tue Feb 10 22:44:26 2009] : Aliatra: "Want us to set you free? Then just try not to kill us"
[Tue Feb 10 22:44:37 2009] : Kraken: The kraken shrugs its tentacles. "My patience is infinite, as is my hunger!"
[Tue Feb 10 22:45:22 2009] : Oona: Oona looks around for algae or boulders to hide from the kraken
[Tue Feb 10 22:45:32 2009] : Kraken: "Now run, silly landdwellers, flail through my watery domain and let me taste your fear."
[Tue Feb 10 22:45:43 2009] : Adrin: Adrin reaches for his sword
[Tue Feb 10 22:45:58 2009] : Kraken: It moves to attack!
[Tue Feb 10 22:46:01 2009] : Kraken: GAME END