Contents / PnP Stuff / Logs / On the Great River II - 09 December 2009

[Wed Dec 9 19:32:23 2009] : (10) DM: GAME START
[Wed Dec 9 19:33:18 2009] : (13) Barnabas: After a freshen-up, Barnabas goes and gets some breakfast before returning to his room and donning his armour
[Wed Dec 9 19:33:40 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena gets up and dressed before heading down for breakfast
[Wed Dec 9 19:33:48 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas emerges more ready for a fight than the night before
[Wed Dec 9 19:34:54 2009] : (11) Helena: "What are we doing today?"
[Wed Dec 9 19:36:12 2009] : (12) Zotin: "A good question"
[Wed Dec 9 19:36:27 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Going to speak to the two warring parties if possible, I thought"
[Wed Dec 9 19:36:49 2009] : (11) Helena: "And try to not getting killed for getting in the middle of it"
[Wed Dec 9 19:37:25 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Seems like someone has already assumed that we are in the middle"
[Wed Dec 9 19:37:55 2009] : (11) Helena: "Why they would try so hard to keep out of it, I just don't know"
[Wed Dec 9 19:38:45 2009] : (10) DM: The ruler of the island is Lord Varlam Denis and he can be found in the castle. The guild leader is Isidora Vira and she can be found at the guild hall during the day and at her rather fine house in the evenings.
[Wed Dec 9 19:39:27 2009] : (12) Zotin: ooc which one is the closest?
[Wed Dec 9 19:39:33 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Shall we try the guild or the ruler first?"
[Wed Dec 9 19:39:41 2009] : (10) DM: ooc the guild hall is closest.
[Wed Dec 9 19:40:04 2009] : (12) Zotin: "I think the Guild hall is the closest."
[Wed Dec 9 19:40:05 2009] : (11) Helena: "The guild is probably closer"
[Wed Dec 9 19:40:58 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena checks her weapons before leaving the inn
[Wed Dec 9 19:41:07 2009] : (11) Helena: "No time like the present"
[Wed Dec 9 19:42:01 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "OK, I'm ready"
[Wed Dec 9 19:42:47 2009] : (11) Helena: "Zotin, are you coming or do you want to miss all the fun?"
[Wed Dec 9 19:43:24 2009] : (12) Zotin: "I'm right behind you"
[Wed Dec 9 19:43:34 2009] : (10) DM: The guildhall is a large grand stone building occupying one side of the market square
[Wed Dec 9 19:44:55 2009] : (11) Helena: "This must be a rich guild, just look at the size of their hall"
[Wed Dec 9 19:46:23 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "They apparently made the rest of the city wealthy"
[Wed Dec 9 19:46:35 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "So I guess their buildings will be opulent"
[Wed Dec 9 19:47:03 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Is the door open or closed?
[Wed Dec 9 19:47:55 2009] : (10) DM: The double doors are closed but you see various people coming and going on guild business.
[Wed Dec 9 19:48:19 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Are they knocking or do they just walk in?
[Wed Dec 9 19:48:34 2009] : (10) DM: They just walk in
[Wed Dec 9 19:48:59 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena walks up to the doors and goes in
[Wed Dec 9 19:49:14 2009] : (12) Zotin: Zotin shrugs and follows
[Wed Dec 9 19:49:44 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas follows the presumptuous colleague
[Wed Dec 9 19:49:44 2009] : (10) DM: Inside is a hallway and grand staircase, the doors opposite are open and lead into the hall itself.
[Wed Dec 9 19:50:12 2009] : (10) DM: The floors are marble and the woodwork is finely but not ostentatiously carved.
[Wed Dec 9 19:50:29 2009] : (10) DM: A clerk seated at a desk look up as you enter.
[Wed Dec 9 19:50:53 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena goes to the clerk
[Wed Dec 9 19:50:56 2009] : (10) Clerk: "Excuse me, would you be Barnabas, Zotin and Helena?"
[Wed Dec 9 19:51:12 2009] : (11) Helena: "Umm, yes. How do you know that?"
[Wed Dec 9 19:51:49 2009] : (10) Clerk: "Ms Vira is very much looking forward to speaking with you. Please go on up to her office."
[Wed Dec 9 19:51:52 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Nobody else has landed here, and we look like travelling types"
[Wed Dec 9 19:52:04 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "It's not too hard"
[Wed Dec 9 19:52:05 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Could you tell us where that is?"
[Wed Dec 9 19:52:11 2009] : (10) Clerk: "The guild likes to keep informed."
[Wed Dec 9 19:52:24 2009] : (10) Clerk: "Up the stairs, first door on the left."
[Wed Dec 9 19:52:38 2009] : (11) Helena: "Thank you"
[Wed Dec 9 19:52:58 2009] : (11) Helena: To the others: "It seems we're more famous than we realised"
[Wed Dec 9 19:53:46 2009] : (12) Zotin: "I'm not sure thats a good thing"
[Wed Dec 9 19:53:57 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas shrugs
[Wed Dec 9 19:55:01 2009] : (10) DM: Heading to Vira's office?
[Wed Dec 9 19:55:03 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena tries to find Ms Vira's office
[Wed Dec 9 19:55:14 2009] : (12) Zotin: ooc yup
[Wed Dec 9 19:55:37 2009] : (10) DM: It's easy to find. There's a brass plaque with her name and title: "Guildmistress".
[Wed Dec 9 19:55:47 2009] : (11) Helena: That helps
[Wed Dec 9 19:56:01 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena knocks
[Wed Dec 9 19:57:31 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: The door opens and a women opens the door.
[Wed Dec 9 19:58:29 2009] : (11) Helena: "Good morning mistress Vira. We hear you wanted to see us"
[Wed Dec 9 19:58:48 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: She's about 50 or so with greying hair neatly tied back. Her clothes are of fine cloth but she wears little in the way of adornment except for her guild symbol pinned to a lapel.
[Wed Dec 9 20:00:03 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "Yes, do come in a sit down but if you'll excuse me I have some business to attend to elsewhere. I shall only be a quarter of an hour at most."
[Wed Dec 9 20:00:46 2009] : (11) Helena: "Of course, madam"
[Wed Dec 9 20:00:50 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas sits, and tries to look relaxed while remaining alert
[Wed Dec 9 20:00:54 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: She shows you into a good sized office, there are shelves stacked with leather bound volumes lining the walls.
[Wed Dec 9 20:01:16 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: Vira steps out and closes the door behind you.
[Wed Dec 9 20:01:27 2009] : (10) DM: Doing anything while you wait?
[Wed Dec 9 20:01:30 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena takes a seat from where she has a good view of the door
[Wed Dec 9 20:02:08 2009] : (12) Zotin: Zotin wanders around looking at the shelves etc and their contents
[Wed Dec 9 20:02:09 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena gets up and takes a look at any papers just lying around, not touching anything
[Wed Dec 9 20:03:40 2009] : (10) DM: There are only a few papers on her desk, they appear to be shipping reports. The tonnage of grain shipped this year, number of voyages and so on.
[Wed Dec 9 20:04:15 2009] : (11) Helena: Anything in sight that seems of interest/value?
[Wed Dec 9 20:04:20 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas sits tight
[Wed Dec 9 20:04:36 2009] : (10) DM: The books on the shelves all have dates stamped on the spine. Possibly accounts or similar information.
[Wed Dec 9 20:04:51 2009] : (10) DM: It certainly seems that the guild likes to document everything.
[Wed Dec 9 20:05:20 2009] : (10) DM: There's a pile of blank, headed writing paper on the desk.
[Wed Dec 9 20:05:21 2009] : (11) Helena: "They must spend a fortune on paper and ink"
[Wed Dec 9 20:05:58 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena looks at the writing paper and compares it to the note from last night
[Wed Dec 9 20:06:33 2009] : (10) DM: It doesn't match.
[Wed Dec 9 20:07:00 2009] : (10) DM: The desk has a locked drawer.
[Wed Dec 9 20:07:06 2009] : (11) Helena: "Either she had nothing to do with last night or she has some private paper somewhere"
[Wed Dec 9 20:07:47 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Or she took some from elsewhere at some occasion and has used it to incriminate someone else"
[Wed Dec 9 20:07:51 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena takes a look at the lock, trying to figure out if it would be hard to pick
[Wed Dec 9 20:08:11 2009] : (10) DM: Thievery check
[Wed Dec 9 20:08:32 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "We're probably being given an opportunity to disappoint them"
[Wed Dec 9 20:08:51 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Best if we just sit and wait"
[Wed Dec 9 20:09:04 2009] : (11) Helena: Thievery: [1d20+5+2-0+5] => [15,5,2,0,5] = (27)
[Wed Dec 9 20:09:06 2009] : (12) Zotin: "I agree. No point antagonising people"
[Wed Dec 9 20:10:01 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena sits down again, she has still has not touched anything
[Wed Dec 9 20:10:16 2009] : (10) DM: Going to wait?
[Wed Dec 9 20:10:36 2009] : (11) Helena: "It seems we did disappoint someone last night, surviving and all"
[Wed Dec 9 20:10:39 2009] : (12) Zotin: ooc yep
[Wed Dec 9 20:10:42 2009] : (11) Helena: Yep
[Wed Dec 9 20:11:11 2009] : (10) DM: Ms Vira returns after 10 minutes and apoligizes for keeping you waiting.
[Wed Dec 9 20:12:03 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Quite understandable. We did just drop in unannounced"
[Wed Dec 9 20:12:24 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "You know of the problems in this town of course. We are currently at an impasse and little progress is being made to resolve the matter.
[Wed Dec 9 20:12:51 2009] : (11) Helena: "Is there anyway we could be of assistance?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:12:59 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "What the guild would like to do is hire yourselfs to assist in some work that we are not best skilled for."
[Wed Dec 9 20:13:59 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "You will have heard of the stories of assassinations and poison smuggling. I cannot stress enough that the guild does no such thing."
[Wed Dec 9 20:14:38 2009] : (11) Helena: "I'm relieved to hear that"
[Wed Dec 9 20:14:41 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "The guild would like these rumours and suspicions investigated and the true source found."
[Wed Dec 9 20:15:21 2009] : (11) Helena: "And if the answer would be less than welcome to you, what would you have us do?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:16:41 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "For now we only require your to investigate. Any action will be decided at a latter date."
[Wed Dec 9 20:17:21 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "Is this something that interests you? There will be considerable monetary rewards, of course."
[Wed Dec 9 20:18:09 2009] : (11) Helena: "How much is considerable?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:18:44 2009] : (12) Zotin: "My only concern is whether our actions could make things worse."
[Wed Dec 9 20:19:14 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "Would 500 gold pieces be acceptable?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:19:30 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "Worse in what way?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:20:09 2009] : (11) Helena: "500 gp would be quite acceptable"
[Wed Dec 9 20:20:38 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Perhaps it would raise suspicion. I'm not saying it would, however we can not claim to know the full picture here""
[Wed Dec 9 20:20:56 2009] : (11) Helena: "But let's be clear about this: you're hiring us because we're impartial and that is the way our investigations will go"
[Wed Dec 9 20:21:32 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "DO you have any suggestions for where we start?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:21:45 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "You must have some suspicions?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:22:43 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "We believe that such criminals could not operate in this town without some collusion with Lord Varlam's town guard."
[Wed Dec 9 20:23:20 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "I would suggest you see if there's any evidence in the watchhouse."
[Wed Dec 9 20:23:38 2009] : (11) Helena: "You're thinking someone else has to know something? Someone who should be doing something about it?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:24:04 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "The guard is unliktely to be co-operative so you may need to employ unorthodox methods. This won't cause a problem?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:24:16 2009] : (12) Zotin: "I suppose the real question is how high does the corruption go"
[Wed Dec 9 20:25:06 2009] : (11) Helena: "We are unorthodox, but taking on the guard would never be our first choice of action"
[Wed Dec 9 20:25:58 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "And besides, with your current dispute, we are aware of your antithesis towards the guards"
[Wed Dec 9 20:26:06 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "There is another lead, I have heard of a safe house somewhere in the harbour district but no specific information."
[Wed Dec 9 20:26:37 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "They are the tool of the rulers here, it seems unlikely to me that any coruption is seeded there"
[Wed Dec 9 20:27:28 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Rather they are following orders and being given only enough information to cause them to give you trouble"
[Wed Dec 9 20:27:29 2009] : (11) Helena: "That should get us started"
[Wed Dec 9 20:28:45 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "That is likely true. But a watchhouse is a easier target than the home of noble. A good place to search for the first link of a chain perhaps."
[Wed Dec 9 20:29:58 2009] : (10) Ms Vira: "Is there anything else?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:30:00 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Lets see what we can dig up"
[Wed Dec 9 20:30:08 2009] : (11) Helena: "But I'd like to speak to Lord Denis before we decide"
[Wed Dec 9 20:30:09 2009] : (12) Zotin: ooc brb
[Wed Dec 9 20:31:20 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Or at least someone at the palace"
[Wed Dec 9 20:31:28 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Good day to you."
[Wed Dec 9 20:32:12 2009] : (10) DM: Off to the castle then?
[Wed Dec 9 20:33:24 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Yes
[Wed Dec 9 20:33:25 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc yes
[Wed Dec 9 20:33:26 2009] : (12) Zotin: oco back. yes
[Wed Dec 9 20:34:51 2009] : (10) DM: The castle is a squat, square stone keep with small square turrets on each corner.
[Wed Dec 9 20:35:22 2009] : (10) DM: There's a short step of steps and a small studded wooden door.
[Wed Dec 9 20:35:51 2009] : (13) Barnabas: History: [1d20+2+2+5] => [5,2,2,5] = (14)
[Wed Dec 9 20:35:57 2009] : (10) DM: The door opens directly into the main hall of the keep.
[Wed Dec 9 20:36:10 2009] : (11) Helena: "Really build for defense, no grand doors or anything"
[Wed Dec 9 20:36:18 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena walks in
[Wed Dec 9 20:38:16 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "I seem to recall that this keep has been useful in holding off orc raiders. Probably difficult to enter when it's shut up"
[Wed Dec 9 20:38:26 2009] : (10) DM: Inside some of the lord's soldiers are lougingi around the fireplace, dicing or sharpening their swords. A youngish man of 15 or so is seated at the high table and looking over a disorganized pile of paper.
[Wed Dec 9 20:38:49 2009] : (10) DM: ooc not 15. 25!
[Wed Dec 9 20:39:05 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena walks over to what seems to be a clerk
[Wed Dec 9 20:39:49 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc We've had adventurers that were around 15 in our games (Huerney comes to mind)
[Wed Dec 9 20:39:57 2009] : (10) DM: Lord Varlam wears plain clothes and a simple circlet of gold. He's wearing a sword with a plain hilt and simple scabbard.
[Wed Dec 9 20:40:22 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc I read that as dicing their swords, rather than a seperate activity to the sharpening ;-)
[Wed Dec 9 20:40:24 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Oops, I managed to miss the lord himself?
[Wed Dec 9 20:40:41 2009] : (10) DM: He seems to be involved in some heated discussion with a older man, Jabbing at the papers in front of him.
[Wed Dec 9 20:41:38 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "...reinforce the garrison here not there!"
[Wed Dec 9 20:42:22 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: He looks up. "Visitors!" He beckons you over.
[Wed Dec 9 20:42:36 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena approaches and bows
[Wed Dec 9 20:42:43 2009] : (11) Helena: "My lord"
[Wed Dec 9 20:42:52 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "You must be that group of adventurers you just arrived. I have a job for you."
[Wed Dec 9 20:42:54 2009] : (12) Zotin: Zotin does likewise
[Wed Dec 9 20:43:01 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas bows in deference to the title
[Wed Dec 9 20:43:49 2009] : (11) Helena: "Yes, my lord"
[Wed Dec 9 20:43:56 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "That damned guild is rotted to the core but I just can't prove it. Get me some solid evidence and I'll pay you, uh, 500 gold pieces."
[Wed Dec 9 20:44:57 2009] : (11) Helena: "And if our evidence points in another direction?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:45:55 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "It won't, none of my men would deal in poisons. There is not honour in such things."
[Wed Dec 9 20:46:06 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "It won't, none of my people would deal in poisons. There is not honour in such things."
[Wed Dec 9 20:46:23 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "There is no suggestion it's your people in our question"
[Wed Dec 9 20:46:38 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "What if it's something outside the guild?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:46:56 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "A new faction trying to muscle in, for example"
[Wed Dec 9 20:47:22 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "Oh. I suppose that's possible."
[Wed Dec 9 20:47:37 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Another port that would benefit from the closure of this one?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:47:44 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: He doesn't seem anthusiastic about the suggestion though.
[Wed Dec 9 20:47:56 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Surely other cities are jealous of the prosperity here?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:48:09 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc People that are convinced to the truth never are
[Wed Dec 9 20:48:33 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "So, what we need to know is what we need to do to receive the payment"
[Wed Dec 9 20:48:44 2009] : (12) Zotin: "So you want us to root out this corruption regardless of its source?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:49:40 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "What is needed are documents incriminating the guild. You would have to infiltrate the guildhall, search the archives and bring the evidence back here."
[Wed Dec 9 20:50:17 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Searching the archives sounds like it could take years"
[Wed Dec 9 20:50:23 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "There is also talk of a safe house operated by these guild villians somewhere in the harbour district."
[Wed Dec 9 20:51:40 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena looks at the others and raises her eyebrow
[Wed Dec 9 20:51:51 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "In the cellers of the guildhall there is apparently a secret archive where they hide all the records of their crooked deals."
[Wed Dec 9 20:52:03 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "You should look for that."
[Wed Dec 9 20:52:05 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "So we get back to our question. What if the evidence points elsewhere?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:52:47 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "And what exactly constitutes evidence?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:53:20 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "From your statements, we only get paid if we achieve the outcome that you desire"
[Wed Dec 9 20:53:52 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "Shipping records, dodgy payments anything that looks suspicious."
[Wed Dec 9 20:54:13 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Sounds like in the event that an external agency, guild, city or whatever is formenting problems here we get nothing"
[Wed Dec 9 20:54:25 2009] : (10) Lord Varlam: "And I give you my word that you shall be paid even if the evidence points elsewhere."
[Wed Dec 9 20:55:23 2009] : (11) Helena: "Thank you, mylord"
[Wed Dec 9 20:55:28 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Sounds agreeable"
[Wed Dec 9 20:56:00 2009] : (11) Helena: "Are we agreed then? Will be accept this commission?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:56:06 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Then we take leave my lord"
[Wed Dec 9 20:56:34 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas bows
[Wed Dec 9 20:56:50 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Shall we discuss this outside?"
[Wed Dec 9 20:56:56 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Yes"
[Wed Dec 9 20:57:21 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas backs away a few steps, then turns and walks out
[Wed Dec 9 20:57:36 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena follows
[Wed Dec 9 20:59:11 2009] : (10) DM: What's the plan?
[Wed Dec 9 20:59:14 2009] : (11) Helena: "I can't believe it, getting paid twice for the doing th job once"
[Wed Dec 9 20:59:35 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "The jobs were different"
[Wed Dec 9 21:00:08 2009] : (12) Zotin: "This safe house seems like a good place to start. Both reckon there is something interesting about it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:00:13 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "His request was to find information that shows that the guild is 'rotted to the core'"
[Wed Dec 9 21:00:51 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Only then did he go on to mention poisons. Ultimately his commission is to investigate their accounts"
[Wed Dec 9 21:01:00 2009] : (11) Helena: "They both agreed to pay, no matter what the outcome. But you're right, she seemed a bit more reasonable than he"
[Wed Dec 9 21:01:27 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Only by doing so and showing either corruption or lack of it do we fulfil it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:01:42 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "No Helena"
[Wed Dec 9 21:01:44 2009] : (11) Helena: "Why do they hate eachother so much? It would make much more sense to rule the city together"
[Wed Dec 9 21:02:16 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "He agreed to pay regardless, but he never asked us to investigate the poison smuggling"
[Wed Dec 9 21:02:35 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "He wants their accounts, he asked for nothing more."
[Wed Dec 9 21:03:07 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "The poison seemed to me to be an irritation less severe than his worries about guild tax payments"
[Wed Dec 9 21:03:40 2009] : (12) Zotin: "He seemed rather agitated in general"
[Wed Dec 9 21:04:33 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "It may look like we could get paid twice for the same job, but while the guild wants to clear its name, with no mud slinging at Lord Varlam, he simply wants the guild to be less powerful"
[Wed Dec 9 21:04:33 2009] : (11) Helena: "That goes for more people in this town. This feud is taking its toll"
[Wed Dec 9 21:05:17 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Zotin is right, the safe house is the first place to go"
[Wed Dec 9 21:05:34 2009] : (12) Zotin: "Now?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:05:35 2009] : (11) Helena: "It seems though that we either accept or skip town. Neither party will thank us if we refuse to do the work"
[Wed Dec 9 21:05:41 2009] : (10) DM: You need to find it first.
[Wed Dec 9 21:05:41 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "At least both wanted it investigated and neither is sure who is running it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:06:11 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "SO, how do we find a 'safe' house. And who is it safe for, and from?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:06:33 2009] : (11) Helena: "I think that the 2 that got away were running in that direction. Perhaps we can pick up their trail"
[Wed Dec 9 21:07:50 2009] : (10) DM: ooc I think I'll make finding it a skill challenge. I need to review the rules.
[Wed Dec 9 21:08:53 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "So looks like a 3rd faction, or at least a breakaway
[Wed Dec 9 21:09:43 2009] : (14) Zotin (enter): 21:09
[Wed Dec 9 21:10:01 2009] : (11) Helena: "The leaders of the factions we met seem to be convinced of their own innocence"
[Wed Dec 9 21:10:04 2009] : (14) Zotin: ooc sorry. seems my router freaked out
[Wed Dec 9 21:10:14 2009] : (14) Zotin: Booting '(12) Zotin' from server...
[Wed Dec 9 21:10:15 2009] : (12) Zotin (exit): 21:10
[Wed Dec 9 21:10:15 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Darn
[Wed Dec 9 21:10:23 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "One thing I know is that the guard simply follow orders"
[Wed Dec 9 21:11:39 2009] : (14) Zotin: "But who gives the orders? Could be the Lord is being undermined"
[Wed Dec 9 21:11:45 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "It might be worth finding out if their guild hostility is directly due to the attitudes of Lord Varlam, or if someone else is encouraging it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:12:50 2009] : (11) Helena: "We can't be sure at this stage, but it would seem there is a third party involved"
[Wed Dec 9 21:13:19 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Thats what it seems like, however lets keep our minds open"
[Wed Dec 9 21:14:42 2009] : (11) Helena: "So do we accept both commissions?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:15:53 2009] : (10) DM: ooc for the skill challenge, look at your skills say how one might be used to search for a building or its occupants, and make the roll. You will need to (collectively) make several skill rolls and get more successes than failures.
[Wed Dec 9 21:16:30 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Do we have to formally accept them. Could we not just see what we find and then decide who to talk to?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:17:00 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Let's sit in a bar and attempt to come up with a plan"
[Wed Dec 9 21:17:11 2009] : (11) Helena: "I think it would be courteous and wise to formally accept"
[Wed Dec 9 21:17:28 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "I think that it would be a tad foolish"
[Wed Dec 9 21:17:43 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "I'm disinclined to accept the latter formally"
[Wed Dec 9 21:18:04 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "If we gain information that's useful, then all well and good"
[Wed Dec 9 21:18:25 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "If not, then we never stated we'd definitely do it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:18:45 2009] : (11) Helena: "And how about we go ahead and they hire others to do this job? Then we might never get paid"
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:00 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas looks for an al fresco cafe
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:14 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Look, there's no-one else here"
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:22 2009] : (14) Zotin: "If we find information then we can demand payment or withhold it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:27 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Mo-one has alighted at these docks in weeks"
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:38 2009] : (14) Zotin: "If they truely ant to know they they'll pay up"
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:46 2009] : (11) Helena: "I don't see how we lose anything by accepting. It's not as if we promise to deliver, we just make sure we do our best"
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:47 2009] : (14) Zotin: ooc *want
[Wed Dec 9 21:19:49 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Hence we get audiences with both of them immediately"
[Wed Dec 9 21:20:11 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Accepting in my mind is promising to deliver"
[Wed Dec 9 21:20:22 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "It's an adventurer's market"
[Wed Dec 9 21:20:41 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Let's just sit down and try to find the safe house"
[Wed Dec 9 21:20:41 2009] : (10) DM: ooc is Helena cross-classing to a paladin?
[Wed Dec 9 21:20:46 2009] : (14) Zotin: ooc lol
[Wed Dec 9 21:20:55 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc LOL
[Wed Dec 9 21:21:04 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc although Barnabas already has
[Wed Dec 9 21:21:41 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Just looking out for # 1
[Wed Dec 9 21:22:25 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas has a think about if anything in his history reading gives any clues as to the general nature of safe houses
[Wed Dec 9 21:22:27 2009] : (13) Barnabas: History: [1d20+2+2+5] => [12,2,2,5] = (21)
[Wed Dec 9 21:22:56 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena thinks back of the streets and secrets she knows
[Wed Dec 9 21:22:59 2009] : (11) Helena: Streetwise: [1d20+3+2+5] => [1,3,2,5] = (11)
[Wed Dec 9 21:23:17 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "There are stories of safe houses. I'm trying to remember if there's any commonality in them that might help us"
[Wed Dec 9 21:23:17 2009] : (14) Zotin: History: [1d20+7] => [10,7] = (17)
[Wed Dec 9 21:23:20 2009] : (14) Zotin: Zotin compares notes with Barnabus
[Wed Dec 9 21:24:10 2009] : (11) Helena: "All major cities have their secrets and people in need of safe places"
[Wed Dec 9 21:24:13 2009] : (10) DM: Safe houses have been used throughout history by clandestine groups to provide a safe and secret haven for the groups members. They'd typically be located in a less travelled area of the town or city.
[Wed Dec 9 21:25:23 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "We know it's in the harbour district, but I'd suggest that we concentrate on quieter alleys"
[Wed Dec 9 21:25:26 2009] : (14) Zotin: "I can't see it being near the castle"
[Wed Dec 9 21:25:45 2009] : (10) DM: They'd typically be managed by someone trustworthy and there nature means they're typically boarding houses and the like where people are expected to come and go a lot.
[Wed Dec 9 21:25:58 2009] : (10) DM: Helena doesn't recall any specific information of use.
[Wed Dec 9 21:26:00 2009] : (14) Zotin: "How about we go for a stroll along the harbour front?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:26:11 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "As good a start as any"
[Wed Dec 9 21:26:22 2009] : (11) Helena: "Sounds good"
[Wed Dec 9 21:26:39 2009] : (10) DM: ooc fyi, you need 6 successes before 3 failures.
[Wed Dec 9 21:29:16 2009] : (13) Barnabas: While walking, barnabas looks out for side alleys that seem to be likely candidates
[Wed Dec 9 21:29:17 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Are they not DM rolls?
[Wed Dec 9 21:29:40 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena watches out as well
[Wed Dec 9 21:29:43 2009] : (10) DM: ooc no
[Wed Dec 9 21:29:46 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Streetwise: [1d20+2+2] => [3,2,2] = (7)
[Wed Dec 9 21:29:52 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc oops
[Wed Dec 9 21:30:48 2009] : (10) DM: There are many boarding houses and blocks of tenements on short term leases. None of them stand out to Barnabas though.
[Wed Dec 9 21:30:50 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas runs up to the next person he sees...
[Wed Dec 9 21:31:06 2009] : (11) Helena: Streetwise: [1d20+3+2+5] => [2,3,2,5] = (12)
[Wed Dec 9 21:31:18 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc Crap rolls
[Wed Dec 9 21:31:23 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Watching for nervous looks in any direction Barnabas shouts in their face...
[Wed Dec 9 21:31:35 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Where's the bastard safe house?!"
[Wed Dec 9 21:31:37 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Intimidate: [1d20+2+2+5] => [13,2,2,5] = (22)
[Wed Dec 9 21:31:44 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc LOL
[Wed Dec 9 21:32:15 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc KMAO
[Wed Dec 9 21:32:28 2009] : (10) DM: ooc if several people are doing the same thing other rolls give +2 bonus if successful themselfs.
[Wed Dec 9 21:32:39 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc I have never ever used intimidate in a game before ;-)
[Wed Dec 9 21:33:06 2009] : (14) Zotin: Zotin tries to look menacing
[Wed Dec 9 21:33:11 2009] : (14) Zotin: Intimidate: [1d20+1] => [19,1] = (20)
[Wed Dec 9 21:33:19 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc LOL, nice roll
[Wed Dec 9 21:33:51 2009] : (14) Zotin: Intimidate: [1d20+1] => [9,1] = (10)
[Wed Dec 9 21:34:10 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena looks as menacing as she can
[Wed Dec 9 21:34:13 2009] : (11) Helena: Intimidate: [1d20+3+2+5] => [7,3,2,5] = (17)
[Wed Dec 9 21:34:16 2009] : (14) Zotin: ooc should really be +2. damn changes wont save
[Wed Dec 9 21:35:00 2009] : (10) Docker: "Safe house? What? I don't know nothing about no safe house. Honest! I'm just a docker. I just work her." He looks nervous.
[Wed Dec 9 21:35:28 2009] : (10) Docker: here
[Wed Dec 9 21:35:35 2009] : (13) Barnabas: looking for any signs or ticks
[Wed Dec 9 21:35:45 2009] : (10) Docker: Insight roll
[Wed Dec 9 21:35:48 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Insight: [1d20+-1+2] => [3,-1,2] = (4)
[Wed Dec 9 21:35:59 2009] : (14) Zotin: Insight: [1d20+7] => [16,7] = (23)
[Wed Dec 9 21:36:10 2009] : (14) Zotin: ooc again, should be +8
[Wed Dec 9 21:36:15 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc see that + -1 there ;-)
[Wed Dec 9 21:36:48 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc LOL
[Wed Dec 9 21:36:54 2009] : (10) Docker: Zotin notices the docker looking towards a particular street off to the west.
[Wed Dec 9 21:36:56 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc obviously I just intimidate and leave it to other more observant people to watch for nervous ticks
[Wed Dec 9 21:37:09 2009] : (11) Helena: Insight: [1d20+0+2] => [5,0,2] = (7)
[Wed Dec 9 21:37:19 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Go on, be off with you, useless"
[Wed Dec 9 21:37:20 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Leave him. He knows nothing"
[Wed Dec 9 21:38:20 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Once he's gone, Barnabas shrugs
[Wed Dec 9 21:38:34 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "I guess he did know nothing"
[Wed Dec 9 21:38:36 2009] : (14) Zotin: "I can't beleive that actually worked"
[Wed Dec 9 21:38:47 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "What did?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:38:58 2009] : (14) Zotin: Zotin nods discretely to the street
[Wed Dec 9 21:38:58 2009] : (11) Helena: "What?
[Wed Dec 9 21:39:12 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Did you not see his eyes?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:39:13 2009] : (11) Helena: "What's there?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:39:26 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Brown, no Blue?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:39:38 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "What about them?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:39:55 2009] : (14) Zotin: "They very clearly looked to that street when you 'asked' the question"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:07 2009] : (11) Helena: "His eyes? I didn't know you noticed men's eyes"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:17 2009] : (14) Zotin: "I think its down there, but lets not be too obvious"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:21 2009] : (11) Helena: "Oh"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:22 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "OK, looks like a good place to start"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:34 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Do you think we should try that again?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:35 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Lets keep walking and then double back and head down there"
[Wed Dec 9 21:40:47 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "It's not really my style!"
[Wed Dec 9 21:41:13 2009] : (14) Zotin: "I think we got lucky"
[Wed Dec 9 21:41:15 2009] : (10) Docker: You seem to have narrowed it down to one quiet street in the harbour district. This street has three boarding houses judging from the faded signs hanging above their doors.
[Wed Dec 9 21:41:58 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena looks at the street and doors, watching for blood
[Wed Dec 9 21:42:01 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Safe houses will have lookouts."
[Wed Dec 9 21:42:20 2009] : (10) DM: ooc perception Helena
[Wed Dec 9 21:43:01 2009] : (11) Helena: Perception: [1d20+0+2] => [11,0,2] = (13)
[Wed Dec 9 21:43:10 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Perception: [1d20+-1+2] => [10,-1,2] = (11)
[Wed Dec 9 21:44:14 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc I still can't get Perception in 4.0, active is so lame as compared to passive
[Wed Dec 9 21:44:39 2009] : (10) DM: Helena looks carefully for a trail but doesn't find anything.
[Wed Dec 9 21:44:58 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Watch for movement. I'm going to run as fast as I can down there as if I've seen something"
[Wed Dec 9 21:45:19 2009] : (11) Helena: "Sure"
[Wed Dec 9 21:45:20 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas sprints down the alley as if in pursuit
[Wed Dec 9 21:45:23 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Athletics: [1d20+3+2+5-1] => [12,3,2,5,-1] = (21)
[Wed Dec 9 21:45:33 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena stands back and looks around
[Wed Dec 9 21:45:41 2009] : (14) Zotin: Perception: [1d20+7] => [17,7] = (24)
[Wed Dec 9 21:45:43 2009] : (10) DM: Unfortunately, nothing else you try narrows down the candiates any further. There's nothing to distinguish between them.
[Wed Dec 9 21:46:03 2009] : (10) DM: ooc it's done.
[Wed Dec 9 21:47:10 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Well, we could just hang around here and hope"
[Wed Dec 9 21:47:12 2009] : (11) Helena: "What now?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:47:41 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "But seriously, if we've not forewarned them by now, then I don't know what we've done"
[Wed Dec 9 21:48:09 2009] : (10) DM: ooc that's a better idea for failure.
[Wed Dec 9 21:48:09 2009] : (14) Zotin: "So do we just bust in a lay waste to each of them?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:48:36 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc Great - go me! ;-)
[Wed Dec 9 21:48:40 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc LOL
[Wed Dec 9 21:49:15 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "I can't see what we have to lose"
[Wed Dec 9 21:49:21 2009] : (11) Helena: "How about we find a place where we can get information under the guise of having a drink"
[Wed Dec 9 21:50:01 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "We've essentially got the blessing of both the guild and Varlam"
[Wed Dec 9 21:50:23 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Thats how I see it"
[Wed Dec 9 21:50:32 2009] : (10) DM: Zotin spots someone peering through the door of one of the boarding houses, she seems to notice you and the door suddenly slams shut.
[Wed Dec 9 21:51:10 2009] : (14) Zotin: "Am I the only one paying attention today?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:51:19 2009] : (13) Barnabas: ooc do we all see the door slam shut?
[Wed Dec 9 21:51:32 2009] : (14) Zotin: "We were just being observed from yonder door"
[Wed Dec 9 21:51:35 2009] : (10) DM: ooc only Zotin nortices.
[Wed Dec 9 21:51:40 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Which?"
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:18 2009] : (14) Zotin: Zotin subtely flicks his eyes in the direction of the doorway
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:21 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Barnabas charges the door that Zotin points at and tries to break it down
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:29 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Athletics: [1d20+3+2+5-1] => [18,3,2,5,-1] = (27)
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:39 2009] : (10) DM: Str check
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:44 2009] : (11) Helena: ooc ROTFLOL
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:45 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Aaaaaargh!
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:52 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Strength: [1d20 + 3 + 2] => [17,3,2] = (22)
[Wed Dec 9 21:52:56 2009] : (14) Zotin: ooc did someone swap Barnabas for Adrin overnight??
[Wed Dec 9 21:53:13 2009] : (11) Helena: Helena stands behind Barnabas, her hand on the hilt of her sword
[Wed Dec 9 21:53:51 2009] : (14) Zotin: Zotin sighs and runs after Barnabas
[Wed Dec 9 21:54:08 2009] : (10) DM: Barnabas crashes into the door, bursting it open and throwing the woman onto the ground.
[Wed Dec 9 21:54:20 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Aaaaargh!"
[Wed Dec 9 21:54:47 2009] : (13) Barnabas: "Where's the safe house??? Tell me now or die!"
[Wed Dec 9 21:54:53 2009] : (13) Barnabas: Intimidate: [1d20+2+2+5] => [14,2,2,5] = (23)
[Wed Dec 9 21:55:31 2009] : (10) DM: "Quick! Out the Back!", she yells before pulling out a dagger hidden up her sleave.
[Wed Dec 9 21:55:36 2009] : (10) DM: GAME END