Contents / PnP Stuff / Logs / On the Great River II - 18 August 2009

[Tue Aug 18 19:56:13 2009] : DM: GAME START
[Tue Aug 18 19:56:56 2009] : Barnabas: ooc we rested to heal up, right? And Elora has a shiny new greatsword?
[Tue Aug 18 19:57:03 2009] : DM: You've landed on a small island that was occupied by some bandits. You eliminated them and rifled their supplies.
[Tue Aug 18 19:57:10 2009] : DM: ooc Great Axe
[Tue Aug 18 19:57:48 2009] : Helena: ooc Unless she really, really prefers a greatsword ;)
[Tue Aug 18 19:57:50 2009] : DM: There doesn't seem to be much else of interest on this island.
[Tue Aug 18 19:58:40 2009] : Elora: "I guess we've come, we've seen, we've learned nothing and we get to go back"
[Tue Aug 18 19:58:48 2009] : Elora: "Although I must say I am happy about this
[Tue Aug 18 19:58:52 2009] : Zotin: "Not back. Onwards"
[Tue Aug 18 19:59:05 2009] : Elora: Elora swings her axe once or twice
[Tue Aug 18 19:59:16 2009] : Elora: "I wouldn't mind resting for a while"
[Tue Aug 18 19:59:17 2009] : Helena: "We still want to get that cup back"
[Tue Aug 18 19:59:19 2009] : Elora: ooc what time is it?
[Tue Aug 18 19:59:47 2009] : Helena: ooc Time for a new weapon
[Tue Aug 18 20:00:23 2009] : DM: It's about 4 o'clock in the afternoon
[Tue Aug 18 20:00:29 2009] : Barnabas: "We can take a short rest if people need to try to treat their wounds"
[Tue Aug 18 20:00:48 2009] : Zotin: "That would be a good idea"
[Tue Aug 18 20:00:53 2009] : Barnabas: "I can help anyone that requires it"
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:10 2009] : DM: From the vantage point at the top of this island you can see the other islands in this small archipelago.
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:20 2009] : Helena: "A little help would be appreciated"
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:24 2009] : Elora: "I meant spend the night"
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:25 2009] : Barnabas: Inspiring Word: (EP; minor) Special: can be used twice per encounter - Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional [1d6+3] => [4,3] = (7) HP (on top of their surge value)
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:39 2009] : Elora: "We don't know what we're going to find elsewhere, and I am a bit tired
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:45 2009] : Helena: "Thank you so much, I feel fine now"
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:55 2009] : Elora: ooc (read short on daily surges)
[Tue Aug 18 20:01:57 2009] : DM: The closest has a small ruined stone tower on a rocky promontory, the 2nd is similar to this one -- all forested and lush.
[Tue Aug 18 20:02:09 2009] : Barnabas: "I'm happy to remain here if you feel the need to"
[Tue Aug 18 20:02:29 2009] : Barnabas: "There's already a fire builrt, which saves us a job"
[Tue Aug 18 20:02:46 2009] : Zotin: "Perhaps we should. I'd not like to lose the light while sailing"
[Tue Aug 18 20:02:51 2009] : DM: A smoke can be seen rising from the most distant island, which seems to be covered in grass and low bushes instead of trees.
[Tue Aug 18 20:03:14 2009] : Helena: "Or having to fight in the dark. I could never get my bolts to hit"
[Tue Aug 18 20:03:25 2009] : DM: It would take you about an hour to go between each island (so 3 hours to the furthest one).
[Tue Aug 18 20:03:30 2009] : Zotin: "Smoke on yonder island. Do you think it could be them?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:03:56 2009] : Helena: "It could be, I can't tell from just smoke"
[Tue Aug 18 20:04:40 2009] : Helena: "But if it it's their fire, they'll probably not move before daybreak"
[Tue Aug 18 20:05:29 2009] : Zotin: "Is the boat secure enough for the night?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:05:34 2009] : Elora: "Or we can go to the nearest island"
[Tue Aug 18 20:05:38 2009] : Elora: "Hoping noone is there"
[Tue Aug 18 20:05:43 2009] : Elora: "visit that tower there"
[Tue Aug 18 20:06:24 2009] : Zotin: "Are we in a rush?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:06:26 2009] : Barnabas: "Would we feel comfortable sailing at night?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:06:53 2009] : Barnabas: "It would be far better to hit the island before dawn and try to catch them unawares"
[Tue Aug 18 20:07:13 2009] : Barnabas: "To reduce the risk it would be better to be already on the nearest island"
[Tue Aug 18 20:07:28 2009] : Zotin: "Good point"
[Tue Aug 18 20:07:41 2009] : DM: Sunset isn't until 8 o'clock so you have 4 hours of daylight left
[Tue Aug 18 20:08:20 2009] : Elora: "I say we go to the next island, and then establish camp there"
[Tue Aug 18 20:08:22 2009] : Zotin: "I think we could make it"
[Tue Aug 18 20:09:12 2009] : Helena: "We have still hours left before it gets dark"
[Tue Aug 18 20:09:50 2009] : Barnabas: "OK, but why stop at the next island?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:10:22 2009] : Elora: "Because the tower can provide shlter and a good vantage point?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:10:36 2009] : Barnabas: "Our chief weapons are fear ans surprise"
[Tue Aug 18 20:11:09 2009] : Barnabas: "That ruined tower doesn't look like it offers much vantage"
[Tue Aug 18 20:11:13 2009] : Elora: "Agreed, but it won't take us more than maybe an hour to get to the next island. Then we can rest and sail at night to the third island"
[Tue Aug 18 20:11:44 2009] : Helena: ooc Fear and surprise? I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition
[Tue Aug 18 20:11:45 2009] : Elora: "Well at least a good viewpoint"
[Tue Aug 18 20:11:51 2009] : Elora: "We probably can see everything around it"
[Tue Aug 18 20:11:52 2009] : Barnabas: "Why would we risk sailing at night to the third island?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:12:17 2009] : Elora: "Did you not just say our weapon was surprise?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:12:24 2009] : Helena: "If we go to the next island now, we need less time to get to the third one tomorrow"
[Tue Aug 18 20:12:28 2009] : Elora: "You think that sailing in broad daylight will yield us surprise?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:12:35 2009] : Elora: Elora smiles
[Tue Aug 18 20:12:45 2009] : Barnabas: "Yes, but it looks like they are on the 4th island"
[Tue Aug 18 20:12:57 2009] : DM: ooc I should have draw a map really
[Tue Aug 18 20:13:31 2009] : Helena: "It still brings us closer today, while sailing in good light now"
[Tue Aug 18 20:13:37 2009] : Barnabas: Dan points out the next island with the tower, the third wooded island and the final smokey island
[Tue Aug 18 20:14:51 2009] : Barnabas: "Unless you mean to sail from island 2 to island 4 in the dark, simultaneously trying to avoid crashing into island 3"
[Tue Aug 18 20:15:16 2009] : Zotin: "I think we could get to the third island without being seen"
[Tue Aug 18 20:15:56 2009] : Helena: ooc Dan???
[Tue Aug 18 20:17:06 2009] : Helena: "I'm just saying that the closer we get today the less distance we have to cover tomorrow. Going to either island 2 or 3 now is fine by me"
[Tue Aug 18 20:17:06 2009] : Elora: "Then let's go to the third island"
[Tue Aug 18 20:17:25 2009] : Elora: "What ever happens, I am not taking on the kobolds before I have rested"
[Tue Aug 18 20:17:43 2009] : Barnabas: ooc what about Dan?
[Tue Aug 18 20:17:44 2009] : Zotin: "Agreed. Lets get moving then"
[Tue Aug 18 20:17:56 2009] : Zotin: ooc "Dan points out..." :)
[Tue Aug 18 20:18:04 2009] : Barnabas: ooc ah, yes I see it
[Tue Aug 18 20:18:45 2009] : Barnabas: Barnabas picks up heis gear and heads back to the boat
[Tue Aug 18 20:19:34 2009] : Helena: ooc I just had to point that out. Sorry
[Tue Aug 18 20:20:02 2009] : Helena: Helena follows Barnabas
[Tue Aug 18 20:20:46 2009] : Zotin: Zotin strides towards the boat
[Tue Aug 18 20:21:05 2009] : DM: You set sail for the third island, trying to keep it between you and what you suppose is the kobold island.
[Tue Aug 18 20:21:22 2009] : Barnabas: "We can look into the other islands afterwards if we still feel like it"
[Tue Aug 18 20:21:48 2009] : Elora: Elora mutters
[Tue Aug 18 20:22:03 2009] : Elora: "What if that island is the kobold island? We're in trouble"
[Tue Aug 18 20:22:11 2009] : Elora: HP & surges status: Healing Surges left: [12-9] => 3 - HP left:[37-0] => 37
[Tue Aug 18 20:22:28 2009] : DM: As you near the tower island you see the sillouette of something standing motionless on top of the tower. Too tall for a kobold but thin.
[Tue Aug 18 20:22:33 2009] : Zotin: ooc brb
[Tue Aug 18 20:22:52 2009] : DM: Carrying on, past this island?
[Tue Aug 18 20:23:04 2009] : Helena: "What's that?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:24:00 2009] : Zotin: ooc back
[Tue Aug 18 20:24:07 2009] : Barnabas: "Presumably the wizard who sent those hounculi"
[Tue Aug 18 20:24:30 2009] : Zotin: "Could be"
[Tue Aug 18 20:24:47 2009] : Helena: "Do we want to visit him?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:25:31 2009] : Zotin: "Not our priority at the minute"
[Tue Aug 18 20:26:46 2009] : DM: What do the rest of you think?
[Tue Aug 18 20:27:18 2009] : Helena: "So let's not"
[Tue Aug 18 20:28:24 2009] : Elora: "Not our priority, unless he comes against us and the kobolds"
[Tue Aug 18 20:28:47 2009] : Elora: ooc sorry against us with the kobolds
[Tue Aug 18 20:29:00 2009] : Elora: "We did destroy his... things there"
[Tue Aug 18 20:29:09 2009] : Elora: "So we might expect him to want to react"
[Tue Aug 18 20:29:25 2009] : Elora: "Let us not go, but he's probably seen us, so let's be on our guards"
[Tue Aug 18 20:29:36 2009] : DM: The figure is motionless.
[Tue Aug 18 20:30:02 2009] : Zotin: "Of course it could be a statue"
[Tue Aug 18 20:30:04 2009] : Barnabas: "They attacked us, and we defended ourselves"
[Tue Aug 18 20:30:30 2009] : Barnabas: "Anyway, looking back hhe's pretty still for a wizard"
[Tue Aug 18 20:31:25 2009] : Elora: "IF I recall well, they did not atttack us"
[Tue Aug 18 20:31:40 2009] : Elora: "Anyway, let us go"
[Tue Aug 18 20:32:06 2009] : Helena: Helena keeps an eye on the figure as the discussion continues
[Tue Aug 18 20:33:02 2009] : DM: Okay, the general consensus seems to be to carry on. You sail onwards to the third island, you ship gliding onto a small shingle beach out of sigh of the "kobold" island.
[Tue Aug 18 20:33:35 2009] : DM: The woodland is dense and lush and there are only some faint animal trails leading off the beach.
[Tue Aug 18 20:33:43 2009] : Zotin: ooc not giving anything away, eh DM? :)
[Tue Aug 18 20:33:43 2009] : Barnabas: "So we rest here until say an hour and a half before dawn, then head over in the dark"
[Tue Aug 18 20:34:31 2009] : Zotin: "Sounds like a plan"
[Tue Aug 18 20:35:40 2009] : Helena: "Rest would be nice. I guess a hot meal is out of the question?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:36:00 2009] : Barnabas: ooc if sunset is at 8pm, then presumably dawn is at around 4am
[Tue Aug 18 20:36:04 2009] : Zotin: "No fires"
[Tue Aug 18 20:36:18 2009] : Helena: "I guessed so"
[Tue Aug 18 20:36:43 2009] : Barnabas: "OK, we need to be up quite early, but 6 hours of rest shouold see us good to continue"
[Tue Aug 18 20:37:31 2009] : Elora: "SOunds good to me"
[Tue Aug 18 20:37:42 2009] : Elora: ooc or is there a minimum rest for a dwarf/fighter?
[Tue Aug 18 20:38:17 2009] : DM: ooc not sure
[Tue Aug 18 20:38:36 2009] : Barnabas: ooc a 6 hour rest is all that's needed in 4e
[Tue Aug 18 20:39:00 2009] : Barnabas: ooc no '24 hour' periods for spell replenishment etc.
[Tue Aug 18 20:39:35 2009] : Elora: ooc cool
[Tue Aug 18 20:40:16 2009] : DM: Nature skill rolls
[Tue Aug 18 20:40:36 2009] : Barnabas: Nature: [1d20+-1+1] => [5,-1,1] = (5)
[Tue Aug 18 20:40:36 2009] : Elora: Nature: [1d20+0+0] => [8,0,0] = (8)
[Tue Aug 18 20:40:39 2009] : Zotin: Nature: [1d20+2] => [6,2] = (8)
[Tue Aug 18 20:42:20 2009] : DM: ooc Helena, a nature skill roll. And try to get more than 8 ;)
[Tue Aug 18 20:42:44 2009] : Helena: Nature Skill Check: [1d20+0] => [17,0] = (17)
[Tue Aug 18 20:42:59 2009] : Zotin: ooc yay
[Tue Aug 18 20:43:13 2009] : Helena: ooc More than 8 :-D
[Tue Aug 18 20:44:06 2009] : DM: On the western end of the beach, under a low over hanging rock, close to the water is the nest or lair of a large creature. You're not sure what kind but it's not at home right now.
[Tue Aug 18 20:44:33 2009] : Zotin: ooc brb
[Tue Aug 18 20:44:57 2009] : Helena: "Something lives there and it's big"
[Tue Aug 18 20:45:15 2009] : Barnabas: "We could do with avoiding whatever that is"
[Tue Aug 18 20:45:18 2009] : Helena: "Best to get out of its way"
[Tue Aug 18 20:45:35 2009] : Elora: "How big do you fathom?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:47:17 2009] : DM: Perhaps 3 meters long but not very high, half a metre at most or it wouldn't fit under the overhang.
[Tue Aug 18 20:47:40 2009] : DM: Something long and flat and living near water.
[Tue Aug 18 20:47:46 2009] : Helena: Helena says what the DM said
[Tue Aug 18 20:48:10 2009] : Helena: "But I don't know what kind of creature it is"
[Tue Aug 18 20:48:14 2009] : Barnabas: ooc craig thinks salt-water croc
[Tue Aug 18 20:48:29 2009] : Barnabas: ooc but this is DnD, so it could be all sorts ;-)
[Tue Aug 18 20:49:20 2009] : Zotin: ooc back
[Tue Aug 18 20:49:27 2009] : DM: Where are you going to camp?
[Tue Aug 18 20:49:41 2009] : Zotin: ooc in the nest? ;)
[Tue Aug 18 20:50:43 2009] : Barnabas: "I'm not much good with natural stuff..
[Tue Aug 18 20:50:57 2009] : Barnabas: "Does anyone know a good place to camp?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:51:00 2009] : Barnabas: ooc brb
[Tue Aug 18 20:51:20 2009] : Helena: "Away from this beach, I'd say"
[Tue Aug 18 20:51:26 2009] : Zotin: "Lets tie the boat up here and find a place to camp, preferably not right beside this nest"
[Tue Aug 18 20:54:22 2009] : DM: You push your way along a narrow animal trail until you reach a small clearing where a tree has fallen some distance from the beach and still hidden from the next island. A suitable place to camp.
[Tue Aug 18 20:55:00 2009] : Barnabas: "Are we there yet?"
[Tue Aug 18 20:55:18 2009] : Helena: "I think this is about the best we cn do"
[Tue Aug 18 20:55:25 2009] : Helena: can
[Tue Aug 18 20:55:31 2009] : DM: The night passes uneventfully except for some noises from the beach, something big moving around.
[Tue Aug 18 20:56:15 2009] : DM: The eastern sky is just beginning it lighten with a orange glow of the rising sun.
[Tue Aug 18 20:56:38 2009] : DM: What's the plan?
[Tue Aug 18 20:56:44 2009] : Zotin: "Time to move. Lets be careful. We dont know what that creature was"
[Tue Aug 18 20:57:08 2009] : Barnabas: ooc the plan was to sail about an hour and a half before sunrise
[Tue Aug 18 20:57:45 2009] : DM: Steatlth checks from everyone has you make your way down the boat.
[Tue Aug 18 20:57:46 2009] : Elora: "Yeah, let's go"
[Tue Aug 18 20:57:58 2009] : Helena: "Let me go first and look if the coast isi clear, so to speak"
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:09 2009] : Zotin: "ok"
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:09 2009] : Helena: Stealth Skill Check: [1d20+11] => [4,11] = (15)
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:20 2009] : Elora: Elora shoulders her pack and makes sure her axe is loose in her scabbard
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:26 2009] : Barnabas: Stealth: [1d20+1+1-1] => [15,1,1,-1] = (16)
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:40 2009] : DM: [1d20-2] => [2,-2] = (0)
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:41 2009] : DM: [1d20-2] => [12,-2] = (10)
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:42 2009] : DM: [1d20-2] => [18,-2] = (16)
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:43 2009] : DM: [1d20-2] => [6,-2] = (4)
[Tue Aug 18 20:58:43 2009] : Helena: Helena goes first, bow loaded and ready for action
[Tue Aug 18 20:59:17 2009] : Zotin: Zotin focuses his mind on the day ahead
[Tue Aug 18 20:59:25 2009] : Helena: Advancing so that I can see the lair without coming too close, if at all possible
[Tue Aug 18 20:59:39 2009] : DM: ooc Stealth rolls from Elora and Zotin.
[Tue Aug 18 21:00:05 2009] : Zotin: Stealth: [1d20+4] => [12,4] = (16)
[Tue Aug 18 21:00:19 2009] : DM: You'll need to get quite close to the lair to see it in the dark.
[Tue Aug 18 21:00:30 2009] : DM: Do you want to move closer?
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:00 2009] : Helena: Helena stands, looks and listens before going any closer
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:06 2009] : Helena: Perception Skill Check: [1d20+0] => [18,0] = (18)
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:15 2009] : Barnabas: ooc why are you going to the lair?
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:24 2009] : DM: There's is something there but you can't make it out.
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:32 2009] : Barnabas: ooc the plan is to get in the boat and go to the island
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:36 2009] : DM: ooc she's not, she's just looking.
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:37 2009] : Helena: ooc Our boat is on the beach near the lair, isn't it?
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:40 2009] : Zotin: ooc its on the way to the boat
[Tue Aug 18 21:01:55 2009] : Helena: ooc So I'm just going to check if the creature is at home
[Tue Aug 18 21:02:02 2009] : DM: The boat is in the middle of the beach, the lair is it one end.
[Tue Aug 18 21:02:38 2009] : Helena: ooc And I was NOT going there, just trying to check if we will get eaten while on our way to the boat
[Tue Aug 18 21:03:43 2009] : DM: Stealth: [1d20+0+1] => [15,0,1] = (16)
[Tue Aug 18 21:04:03 2009] : Helena: Helena gestures at the others to keep quiet before she pussyfoots it to the boat, making as wide a berth as possible to keep far away from the lair
[Tue Aug 18 21:04:21 2009] : DM: You creep out of the woods and down to the boat and shove off quietly and jump in.
[Tue Aug 18 21:04:40 2009] : DM: You're soon on your way without disturbing the sleeping creature. 43 XP each.
[Tue Aug 18 21:05:27 2009] : Barnabas: ooc Yay - XP for avoiding too
[Tue Aug 18 21:05:35 2009] : DM: As you round the island and come into view of the second one you see a lantern shining low on the water on the western end.
[Tue Aug 18 21:06:20 2009] : Barnabas: ooc what's the current XP total?
[Tue Aug 18 21:06:33 2009] : Barnabas: Perception: [1d20+-1+1] => [14,-1,1] = (14)
[Tue Aug 18 21:06:42 2009] : DM: ooc not sure. It should be kept up-to date on the wiki really.
[Tue Aug 18 21:06:51 2009] : Zotin: ooc 1907?
[Tue Aug 18 21:07:13 2009] : Barnabas: ooc I've got it as 2046!
[Tue Aug 18 21:07:15 2009] : Helena: ooc I have it 2088
[Tue Aug 18 21:07:29 2009] : Barnabas: ooc sorry 2026
[Tue Aug 18 21:07:45 2009] : DM: You sail closer, the only sond the gentle lapping of waves on the boat.
[Tue Aug 18 21:07:54 2009] : Zotin: ooc ah, I've missed the bandits xp
[Tue Aug 18 21:08:58 2009] : DM: ooc can you mark on the map which direction you're approaching from?
[Tue Aug 18 21:09:04 2009] : Zotin: ooc I get 2088
[Tue Aug 18 21:09:24 2009] : Helena: ooc So do I, so that should be the correct total
[Tue Aug 18 21:10:42 2009] : DM: ooc can you mark on the map which direction you're approaching from?
[Tue Aug 18 21:11:18 2009] : Barnabas: ooc I guess we'd avoid the lamp
[Tue Aug 18 21:11:38 2009] : Barnabas: ooc but I guess pretty much straight there??
[Tue Aug 18 21:11:54 2009] : Helena: ooc Yeah, sounds about right
[Tue Aug 18 21:12:13 2009] : Zotin: ooc yup
[Tue Aug 18 21:12:31 2009] : Barnabas: ooc how's that?
[Tue Aug 18 21:12:39 2009] : DM: ooc Excellent, thanks
[Tue Aug 18 21:12:59 2009] : DM: ooc sail up or down?
[Tue Aug 18 21:13:18 2009] : Barnabas: ooc I thought we'd be rowing??
[Tue Aug 18 21:13:23 2009] : DM: Okay
[Tue Aug 18 21:13:33 2009] : Elora: ooc down would be my guess, but it depends on the lay of the land
[Tue Aug 18 21:13:33 2009] : Zotin: ooc too noisy?
[Tue Aug 18 21:13:52 2009] : Barnabas: ooc we're not brilliant sailors
[Tue Aug 18 21:13:56 2009] : DM: You quitely row closer and closer to the island, oars making soft splashes as you row.
[Tue Aug 18 21:14:10 2009] : Zotin: ooc I'm assuming the bay shaped bit is a bay?
[Tue Aug 18 21:14:25 2009] : Helena: ooc LOL
[Tue Aug 18 21:14:41 2009] : Helena: ooc What shape is a bay shape
[Tue Aug 18 21:14:50 2009] : Zotin: ooc I couldn't think of any other way to descrive it
[Tue Aug 18 21:14:51 2009] : Barnabas: ooc I'm assuming that the long arm is a random drawn line
[Tue Aug 18 21:14:55 2009] : DM: When you near the island you see that the island marks a small stone breakwater that leads into a sea cave. This looks a likely spot where the kobolds dock.
[Tue Aug 18 21:15:02 2009] : Elora: ooc brilliant sailor indeed ;-)
[Tue Aug 18 21:15:04 2009] : DM: ooc yes, sorry.
[Tue Aug 18 21:15:35 2009] : Barnabas: ooc OK, ORPG's maps are not the easiest to use!
[Tue Aug 18 21:15:38 2009] : DM: You spot spot any kobolds on look out yet but it's still dark and hard to see any detail.
[Tue Aug 18 21:16:02 2009] : DM: ooc I greatly improved drawing lines last weekend but ran out of time to test it fully.
[Tue Aug 18 21:16:11 2009] : Elora: ooc where the cave thing? not sure I got it.
[Tue Aug 18 21:16:19 2009] : Barnabas: ooc me either
[Tue Aug 18 21:16:27 2009] : Helena: ooc Nor me
[Tue Aug 18 21:16:47 2009] : Zotin: ooc testing? pah!
[Tue Aug 18 21:17:07 2009] : Zotin: ooc thats what users are for, right?
[Tue Aug 18 21:17:20 2009] : Barnabas: ooc hey, some of us make a good living out of developers mistakes! ;-)
[Tue Aug 18 21:17:47 2009] : Zotin: ooc they aren't mistakes, just unintended features
[Tue Aug 18 21:18:06 2009] : DM: Heading for the dock in the cave or sailing around the promontory and looking for somewhere else?
[Tue Aug 18 21:19:18 2009] : Zotin: Zotin looks around to see what the others think
[Tue Aug 18 21:19:21 2009] : Helena: ooc Definitely trying to land elsewhere on the island if we can still get access to the part with the cave
[Tue Aug 18 21:19:30 2009] : Barnabas: ooc ooh, real text!
[Tue Aug 18 21:19:41 2009] : Helena: "Let's try and avid to land right in their midst"
[Tue Aug 18 21:19:49 2009] : Helena: ooc Nice lettering
[Tue Aug 18 21:19:52 2009] : Barnabas: ooc can we beach straight ahead of the arrow?
[Tue Aug 18 21:21:37 2009] : DM: This northwestern end is rocky with a cliff (not sheer but too steep to simply scramble up), if you tried to dock here it would requiring climbing up the cliff.
[Tue Aug 18 21:21:49 2009] : Elora: ooc nope.
[Tue Aug 18 21:22:51 2009] : Zotin: "Lets go on around"
[Tue Aug 18 21:23:00 2009] : Barnabas: "Let's sail around a bit and look for a beach where we can land privately"
[Tue Aug 18 21:23:04 2009] : Helena: "Let's"
[Tue Aug 18 21:23:39 2009] : Elora: "Sounds good to me"
[Tue Aug 18 21:23:54 2009] : Elora: ooc nice loop we made there :)
[Tue Aug 18 21:24:17 2009] : Barnabas: ooc we're not great sailors ;-)
[Tue Aug 18 21:24:57 2009] : DM: You round the promontory and see the main place where the kobolds live. a small cluster of rough wooden huts clustered on the slopes down to a shingle beach and the water's edge.
[Tue Aug 18 21:25:21 2009] : Helena: "Uhm, do we really want to go there?"
[Tue Aug 18 21:25:34 2009] : Zotin: "No, keep going before they see us"
[Tue Aug 18 21:26:30 2009] : DM: There are no shouts of alarm yet and there are no lights lit on this edge of the island, although fire smoulders in the centre and it looks like a few kobolds lie asleep next to it.
[Tue Aug 18 21:27:02 2009] : DM: The fire is a large campfire.
[Tue Aug 18 21:27:52 2009] : Elora: ooc can go three minutes for a cig before we engage in raging battle? I'm leaving the steering to my colleagues for the time ;-)
[Tue Aug 18 21:27:58 2009] : Elora: ooc can *I*
[Tue Aug 18 21:28:00 2009] : DM: ooc okay
[Tue Aug 18 21:28:36 2009] : Helena: ooc So we sail (row) on
[Tue Aug 18 21:29:15 2009] : DM: ooc Hmm. I was expecting you to choose the beach or the cave and not continue on. Hmm. What's geology like of the south-eastern end...?
[Tue Aug 18 21:30:01 2009] : Helena: ooc Those pesky players! Always doing something you hadn't accounted for
[Tue Aug 18 21:30:15 2009] : Zotin: ooc surely you know by now that if you give us options 1 or 2 we'll pick 4
[Tue Aug 18 21:30:30 2009] : DM: The southern part of the island is rocky again with small coves with just enough space to beach and small boat. You'd need to scramble up or along the rocks.
[Tue Aug 18 21:30:37 2009] : Barnabas: ooc you could force our hand by the deft use of daybreak rapidly approaching
[Tue Aug 18 21:30:47 2009] : Barnabas: ooc which it most likely is!
[Tue Aug 18 21:31:35 2009] : Helena: ooc LOL
[Tue Aug 18 21:31:37 2009] : DM: ooc its doesn't really matter where you land -- it changes the encounter and things like that nothing plotwise.
[Tue Aug 18 21:31:39 2009] : Zotin: ooc shhhh
[Tue Aug 18 21:32:23 2009] : Elora: ooc back
[Tue Aug 18 21:32:41 2009] : DM: You can sail around again before dawn breaks.
[Tue Aug 18 21:32:51 2009] : DM: Row not sail
[Tue Aug 18 21:33:56 2009] : Barnabas: "Well I can't see much better here, perhaps we should beach before daybreak?"
[Tue Aug 18 21:34:18 2009] : Zotin: "Yes, we dont want to be seen landing if we can avoid it"
[Tue Aug 18 21:34:25 2009] : Barnabas: "A short scramble and we can attack the village from a really unexpected direction"
[Tue Aug 18 21:34:59 2009] : Barnabas: "I am a good climber, and have rope if need-be"
[Tue Aug 18 21:35:04 2009] : Helena: "Just be careful that we don't break our ankles"
[Tue Aug 18 21:35:28 2009] : Elora: "Right"
[Tue Aug 18 21:37:15 2009] : DM: ooc I'm going to have a try at one of these skill challenge things. An easy one. One person needs to decide to make the requested skill roll.
[Tue Aug 18 21:37:32 2009] : Barnabas: "Like I said, I'm a good climber. I'll go up and drop down a rope to make it easier for the rest of you"
[Tue Aug 18 21:37:38 2009] : DM: Someone spot a good place to land (perception and insight).
[Tue Aug 18 21:37:50 2009] : Barnabas: ooc not me!
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:11 2009] : Zotin: ooc well my passive is 17 for both
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:12 2009] : Helena: Perception Skill Check: [1d20+0] => [13,0] = (13)
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:13 2009] : Helena: Insight Skill Check: [1d20+0] => [20,0] = (20)
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:34 2009] : DM: Helena points out a likely spot.
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:34 2009] : Elora: Perception: [1d20+0+0] => [14,0,0] = (14)
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:36 2009] : Elora: Insight: [1d20+0+0] => [7,0,0] = (7)
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:44 2009] : DM: ooc one person!
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:51 2009] : Elora: ooc sorry!
[Tue Aug 18 21:38:54 2009] : Helena: ooc My spot is better! :P
[Tue Aug 18 21:39:36 2009] : DM: Someone steer the boat towards it (acrobatics or athletics).
[Tue Aug 18 21:39:58 2009] : Zotin: ooc I'll pass on those
[Tue Aug 18 21:40:02 2009] : Elora: ooc me (trained in athletics)
[Tue Aug 18 21:40:05 2009] : Elora: Athletics: [1d20+0+0+5] => [13,0,0,5] = (18)
[Tue Aug 18 21:40:05 2009] : Barnabas: Acrobatics: [1d20+1+1-1] => [20,1,1,-1] = (21)
[Tue Aug 18 21:40:29 2009] : Barnabas: ooc meant to do athletics which is +8
[Tue Aug 18 21:40:43 2009] : Barnabas: ooc so 28
[Tue Aug 18 21:41:38 2009] : DM: Elora holds the rudder firm against the sudden strong current while Barnabas hauls on the oars, as the swirling current pulls the boat this way and that.
[Tue Aug 18 21:42:03 2009] : Zotin: Zotin holds on
[Tue Aug 18 21:42:31 2009] : Elora: Elora panting, holds firmly
[Tue Aug 18 21:42:58 2009] : Barnabas: Barnabas feels the chafing!
[Tue Aug 18 21:43:39 2009] : Barnabas: ooc I'm reading a book about a bloke who crossed the channel by rowing a bathtub - severe chafing!
[Tue Aug 18 21:43:51 2009] : DM: The boat noses it's way into the small cove scraping against a rock, a plank cracks and water begins to trickle in. Someone needs to leap out and secure the boat before the current drags it further onto the rocks (athletics).
[Tue Aug 18 21:44:24 2009] : Elora: ooc is anyone keeping the XP on the wiki?
[Tue Aug 18 21:44:32 2009] : Helena: Helena jumps out
[Tue Aug 18 21:44:37 2009] : Helena: Athletics Skill Check: [1d20+1] => [17,1] = (18)
[Tue Aug 18 21:44:53 2009] : Zotin: Zotin thinks he needs to build some muscle for future adventures
[Tue Aug 18 21:45:15 2009] : Helena: Helena tries to hold the boat of the rocks while securing it
[Tue Aug 18 21:45:35 2009] : DM: Helena leaps out of the boat onto the rocky shore and hauls the boat in and away from the strong currents.
[Tue Aug 18 21:45:44 2009] : Barnabas: Barnabas continues to drive it up the beach with the oars
[Tue Aug 18 21:46:14 2009] : DM: Elora and Barnabas guide and row the boat the rest of the (short) way in and it bumps aground on the shingles.
[Tue Aug 18 21:46:39 2009] : DM: Perhaps not the best spot to dock but you made it with only a minor leak.
[Tue Aug 18 21:46:49 2009] : DM: ooc now to work out XP for that.
[Tue Aug 18 21:47:29 2009] : Zotin: Zotin may have done a minor leak into his trousers
[Tue Aug 18 21:47:31 2009] : Barnabas: ooc that was really quite good!
[Tue Aug 18 21:48:15 2009] : Barnabas: ooc Trained in athletics and endurance, I'm your man for rowing
[Tue Aug 18 21:48:30 2009] : Zotin: ooc works quite well
[Tue Aug 18 21:49:07 2009] : DM: ooc a moderate complexity 1 skill challenge apparently.
[Tue Aug 18 21:50:16 2009] : Elora: ooc I need to try something
[Tue Aug 18 21:50:16 2009] : Helena: ooc If you (and the book) say so
[Tue Aug 18 21:50:18 2009] : Elora: Strength: [1d20 + 0] => [2,0] = (2)
[Tue Aug 18 21:50:56 2009] : Elora: ooc hmmm, my modifers are all out of line
[Tue Aug 18 21:51:50 2009] : Barnabas: ooc check *all* your nodes for variables
[Tue Aug 18 21:52:22 2009] : Zotin: ooc seconded
[Tue Aug 18 21:52:24 2009] : Elora: ooc it worked last week on the other computer
[Tue Aug 18 21:52:35 2009] : Elora: ooc I only have one node.
[Tue Aug 18 21:52:54 2009] : DM: ooc 31 XP each.
[Tue Aug 18 21:52:59 2009] : Zotin: ooc each of the 'sub-nodes' can have stats
[Tue Aug 18 21:53:30 2009] : Elora: ooc dcan node have variables that have variables in their formula?
[Tue Aug 18 21:53:40 2009] : DM: ooc yes
[Tue Aug 18 21:53:53 2009] : Elora: ooc I thought so. Does not seem to be working here :(
[Tue Aug 18 21:53:54 2009] : DM: ooc If you send me the node I can look at it.
[Tue Aug 18 21:54:08 2009] : Elora has sent you a tree node...
[Tue Aug 18 21:54:17 2009] : DM: Strength: [1d20 + 4] => [2,4] = (6)
[Tue Aug 18 21:54:32 2009] : Elora: Strength: [1d20 + 0] => [7,0] = (7)
[Tue Aug 18 21:55:22 2009] : Barnabas: Strength: [1d20 + 3 + 1] => [2,3,1] = (6)
[Tue Aug 18 21:55:33 2009] : DM: ooc it seems to work for me
[Tue Aug 18 21:55:48 2009] : Barnabas: ooc == 1d20 + Str + lmod
[Tue Aug 18 21:55:59 2009] : Elora: ooc wow, strange
[Tue Aug 18 21:56:13 2009] : Elora: could the export have done it?
[Tue Aug 18 21:56:24 2009] : Elora: ie. I exported it from one copmputer to the other
[Tue Aug 18 21:56:26 2009] : DM: ooc you are forgetting the level/2 though
[Tue Aug 18 21:56:38 2009] : Elora: ooc nope, it's called "lvl"
[Tue Aug 18 21:56:49 2009] : Elora: ooc level = 2
[Tue Aug 18 21:56:57 2009] : Elora: ooc lvl=level/2
[Tue Aug 18 21:57:08 2009] : Barnabas: Dexterity: [1d20 + 1 + 1] => [19,1,1] = (21)
[Tue Aug 18 21:57:10 2009] : DM: Strength: [1d20 + 4 + 1] => [11,4,1] = (16)
[Tue Aug 18 21:57:16 2009] : Barnabas: oops sorry
[Tue Aug 18 21:57:28 2009] : Elora: ooc Dave, I had changed it just before I sent you the node
[Tue Aug 18 21:57:38 2009] : Elora: Initiative: [1d20 + 2/2] => [14,1] = (15)
[Tue Aug 18 21:57:49 2009] : DM: ooc the node looks fine to me.
[Tue Aug 18 21:58:19 2009] : Elora: ok
[Tue Aug 18 21:58:23 2009] : Elora: Initiative: [1d20 + 2/2] => [13,1] = (14)
[Tue Aug 18 21:58:27 2009] : Elora: Strength: [1d20 + 0] => [7,0] = (7)
[Tue Aug 18 21:58:45 2009] : Elora: ooc can you send it back to me?
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:10 2009] : Elora: Initiative: [1d20 + 2/2] => [8,1] = (9)
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:15 2009] : DM: ooc It'd like to see the whole tree. Email it to me later.
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:15 2009] : Elora: Strength: [1d20 + 0 + 1] => [13,0,1] = (14)
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:22 2009] : DM: ooc Back to the game... ;)
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:27 2009] : Elora: ooc sorry
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:32 2009] : Elora: ooc I think I know
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:42 2009] : Elora: ooc I don't have the last version of openrpg :/
[Tue Aug 18 21:59:49 2009] : Elora: ooc it says dv5???
[Tue Aug 18 22:00:02 2009] : DM: The rocks and rough and craggy and small flowering plants nestle between them.
[Tue Aug 18 22:00:03 2009] : Zotin: ooc for shame!
[Tue Aug 18 22:00:04 2009] : Elora: ooc should be dv7 right?
[Tue Aug 18 22:00:19 2009] : Zotin: "Well that was exciting!"
[Tue Aug 18 22:00:37 2009] : Barnabas: ooc that really confused me there - I thought you meant me with 'craggy'
[Tue Aug 18 22:00:37 2009] : DM: ooc that would explain it. dv6 fixed the variables.
[Tue Aug 18 22:01:06 2009] : DM: ooc we won't fight tonight
[Tue Aug 18 22:01:17 2009] : Elora: ooc sorry for being a spoil :(
[Tue Aug 18 22:01:29 2009] : Barnabas: "OK, I'll go up and drop a rope down"
[Tue Aug 18 22:01:47 2009] : Elora: "I thought we were never going to make it"
[Tue Aug 18 22:02:10 2009] : Barnabas: "I thought we all pulled together really weall as a team there"
[Tue Aug 18 22:02:15 2009] : DM: Athletics check Barbabas.
[Tue Aug 18 22:02:24 2009] : Helena: "At least we never got into any trouble"
[Tue Aug 18 22:02:42 2009] : Zotin: ooc how high is the cliff?
[Tue Aug 18 22:03:18 2009] : DM: The cliff is about 10 metres high with a slope of roughly 45 degrees.
[Tue Aug 18 22:04:17 2009] : Barnabas: Athletics: [1d20+3+1+5-1] => [17,3,1,5,-1] = (25)
[Tue Aug 18 22:04:33 2009] : Helena: ooc Nice :)
[Tue Aug 18 22:04:36 2009] : Zotin: ooc nice roll
[Tue Aug 18 22:04:55 2009] : DM: Barnabas easily makes it to the top and secures the rope to the root of a tough looking bush.
[Tue Aug 18 22:05:25 2009] : Barnabas: Barnabas tosses the rope down
[Tue Aug 18 22:05:58 2009] : Barnabas: "It's not too steep, so you should have no problems now!
[Tue Aug 18 22:06:17 2009] : DM: The rest of you make it to the top with no difficultly and soon you're crouched on the clifftop looking across the scrubby vegetation and the ramshackle huts. Dawn is nearly here but noone or nothing is stirring in the island yet.
[Tue Aug 18 22:06:28 2009] : Elora: Elora climbs the rope
[Tue Aug 18 22:06:33 2009] : Zotin: Zotin ascends using the rope as little as possible
[Tue Aug 18 22:06:55 2009] : Helena: "Cave or beach?"
[Tue Aug 18 22:07:33 2009] : DM: You can't see the cave from here.
[Tue Aug 18 22:08:11 2009] : Helena: "Where do we want to go from here?"
[Tue Aug 18 22:08:12 2009] : Barnabas: ooc it's at this point that the wizard casts fly, then uses several extended fireball spells
[Tue Aug 18 22:08:26 2009] : DM: There are four kobolds around the campfire and there could be several more in the huts.
[Tue Aug 18 22:09:02 2009] : Zotin: ooc dream on
[Tue Aug 18 22:09:25 2009] : DM: One of the huts is bigger than the others and better made, or at least its not slump or leaning at a crazy angle that the other four are.
[Tue Aug 18 22:10:06 2009] : DM: Plan an attack and you can execute it next week.
[Tue Aug 18 22:10:34 2009] : Barnabas: "So, do we try to sneak into the big hut and dispatch the occupant in the enclosed space?"
[Tue Aug 18 22:11:04 2009] : Zotin: "I can run my flaming sphere around torching the huts"
[Tue Aug 18 22:11:39 2009] : Barnabas: "Sounds like a start... Could cause a panic, which we use to our advantage"
[Tue Aug 18 22:12:06 2009] : Helena: "I could then pick them off with my bow"
[Tue Aug 18 22:12:08 2009] : Elora: "Can we really sneak in? I'm not very good at sneaking in"
[Tue Aug 18 22:12:17 2009] : Elora: "I like the fire idea better"
[Tue Aug 18 22:12:31 2009] : Elora: "And then, hack into the lot"
[Tue Aug 18 22:12:52 2009] : DM: ooc brb
[Tue Aug 18 22:12:54 2009] : Elora: "We might want to keep one or two alive though, to tell us about this cup"
[Tue Aug 18 22:13:10 2009] : Zotin: "I'll have to get close-ish to use the sphere" (10 squares)
[Tue Aug 18 22:14:26 2009] : Barnabas: "But Helena could perhaps sneak into the hut. If the wizard is in there, perhaps with surprise and such confined space you could take him out quickly"
[Tue Aug 18 22:14:31 2009] : Helena: "Just drop it down on them"
[Tue Aug 18 22:16:31 2009] : Helena: "If you want me to sneak it had better be soon, before the sun is really up"
[Tue Aug 18 22:18:50 2009] : Zotin: "One other option is a special talent my people have. I can teleport a short distance"
[Tue Aug 18 22:19:04 2009] : Barnabas: ooc I think we need a new map, unless this is to 5' square scale
[Tue Aug 18 22:19:23 2009] : DM: This one isn't to scale.
[Tue Aug 18 22:19:38 2009] : Barnabas: "OK, how far and what can you do with it?"
[Tue Aug 18 22:19:40 2009] : Elora: "Teleport? As in appear down here?"
[Tue Aug 18 22:19:44 2009] : Elora: Elora points at the camp
[Tue Aug 18 22:19:46 2009] : Helena: ooc If it is, those huts are * really* small
[Tue Aug 18 22:20:41 2009] : Zotin: "It really is a very short range (5 squares), but if I can get close to the big hut I can go inside. Mind you, I would ahve to get out again by foot"
[Tue Aug 18 22:22:17 2009] : Barnabas: "Now if Helena could do that, it would be amazingly effective"
[Tue Aug 18 22:22:20 2009] : DM: ooc does that help?
[Tue Aug 18 22:22:31 2009] : Barnabas: ooc yep, cheers DM
[Tue Aug 18 22:23:06 2009] : Zotin: "I say we go with fire and panic"
[Tue Aug 18 22:23:46 2009] : Helena: "Unfortunately I can only sneak, not teleport"
[Tue Aug 18 22:24:14 2009] : Helena: "Fire, panci and bows work for me, though"
[Tue Aug 18 22:25:27 2009] : Zotin: "If the opportunity arises one of us look in the big hut"
[Tue Aug 18 22:25:54 2009] : Barnabas: "Remember, we stick together mostly. If you are too far away from me, I am unable to aid in your actions"
[Tue Aug 18 22:26:00 2009] : Elora: "I'm only useful if I am close too"
[Tue Aug 18 22:26:11 2009] : Elora: "So I would say fire, panic and charge into the camp"
[Tue Aug 18 22:26:34 2009] : DM: ooc with Helena picking off kobolds with her bow?
[Tue Aug 18 22:27:36 2009] : Zotin: ooc around how close can we get to the camp and still be hidden?
[Tue Aug 18 22:27:43 2009] : Barnabas: "OK, let's do it"
[Tue Aug 18 22:28:00 2009] : Helena: "I won't do any charging, if you don't mind. That's jut not my forte"
[Tue Aug 18 22:28:08 2009] : DM: There's concealment from bushes up to the very edge of the huts
[Tue Aug 18 22:29:08 2009] : DM: GAME END